Rotating Vectors: How to Rotate a Vector 90 Degrees Towards a Specific Direction

In summary, the individual is seeking help with rotating a vector using a normalized vector and is unsure how to convert vectors to angles or use radians. They also mention trying to find a web resource for help. However, it is clarified that rotating a vector along an axis is not possible and instead, a rotation matrix can be used.
sparkzbarca
This isn't actually a homework question, I'm programming something, it's just what should be fairly simple math I'm just not certain how to do it.

Assume I have a normalized vector which points directly up {0,1,0}.

I also have another vector X.

I'd like to rotate vector X along the

crossmultiply(up,vector x) axis
(i know how to cross multiply)

90 degrees towards {0,1,0}

but basically i'd no idea how to convert vectors to angles or maybe I need to use radians,
if it helps the axis and the up can be normalized so that it can be assumed your working on the unit circle if that makes it easier to find.

If you could help me or even just point me to a web resource that helps that'd be appreciated, i tried looking up vectors to angles but didn't really seem to get anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
sparkzbarca said:
This isn't actually a homework question, I'm programming something, it's just what should be fairly simple math I'm just not certain how to do it.

Assume I have a normalized vector which points directly up {0,1,0}.

I also have another vector X.

I'd like to rotate vector X along the

crossmultiply(up,vector x) axis
?
I don't know what you mean by this. You don't rotate a vector along an axis - you rotate it around some vector.
sparkzbarca said:
(i know how to cross multiply)

90 degrees towards {0,1,0}

but basically i'd no idea how to convert vectors to angles or maybe I need to use radians,
if it helps the axis and the up can be normalized so that it can be assumed your working on the unit circle if that makes it easier to find.

If you could help me or even just point me to a web resource that helps that'd be appreciated, i tried looking up vectors to angles but didn't really seem to get anywhere.

You can use a rotation matrix to rotate a vector. See the wiki article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_matrix.

Oh i understand a vector rotates around another vector but to me at least axis is short for the vector around which something rotates. I believe I solved the dilemma but thank you!

Related to Rotating Vectors: How to Rotate a Vector 90 Degrees Towards a Specific Direction

What does it mean to rotate a vector 90 degrees?

Rotating a vector 90 degrees means to change the direction of the vector by 90 degrees while keeping its magnitude (length) the same. This can be visualized as turning the vector counterclockwise or clockwise on a coordinate plane.

How do you rotate a vector 90 degrees?

To rotate a vector 90 degrees, you can use a rotation matrix or the trigonometric functions sine and cosine. The rotation matrix involves multiplying the vector's coordinates by specific values to achieve the desired rotation. The sine and cosine method uses the vector's original angle and the trigonometric functions to calculate its new coordinates after rotating 90 degrees.

Can you rotate a vector 90 degrees in any direction?

Yes, you can rotate a vector 90 degrees in any direction on a two-dimensional plane. However, the direction of rotation (counterclockwise or clockwise) will affect the vector's final coordinates.

How does rotating a vector affect its components?

Rotating a vector 90 degrees will change its components (x and y coordinates) based on the chosen rotation direction. If the vector is rotated counterclockwise, the x component will become the negative value of its original y component, and the y component will become the positive value of its original x component. If the vector is rotated clockwise, the x component will become the positive value of its original y component, and the y component will become the negative value of its original x component.

Why is rotating a vector 90 degrees important?

Rotating a vector 90 degrees is important because it allows you to change the direction of a vector while maintaining its magnitude. This can be useful in many scientific and engineering applications, such as rotating objects in a specific direction or calculating forces and velocities in different directions. It is also an essential concept in linear algebra and trigonometry.