Rolling resistance, stiction calculation for pipe roller

In summary, the conversation discusses the ultimate goal of speccing a motor for a shop tool that rotates large pipes on four wheels, with two of the wheels being motorized. The speaker has a good understanding of the torque and horsepower needed to accelerate the pipes, but has not yet accounted for rolling resistance or resistance due to static friction and wheel deformations. The speaker has found one equation for rolling resistance, but is unsure of its applicability and is wondering if there are other equations to consider. They also question if there is a way to calculate a more accurate rolling resistance based on wheel deformation, and what other factors should be taken into account when choosing a motor for this application.
aggie_mech
My ultimate goal is to spec a motor for a shop tool. It is a stand to rotate a glorified pipe. The pipes are quite large (up to 19,000lbs). The pipe will sit on four wheels. Two of the wheels are motorized. I have a good idea of the torque/hp needed to accelerate to the desired angular velocity based on the mass moment of inertia. I have ignored one thing so far though: rolling resistance or resistance due to static friction and wheel deformations.

I have searched on the internet and all I can find is one equation: F = Crr*N. F is the rolling resistance. Crr is the rolling resistance coefficient. N is the normal force. There is also a version where Crr is terms of a distance which is then divided by the radius of the wheel. This equation seems to primarily apply to a vehicle/car moving across the ground/floor.

How does this change in my case and are there any other applicable equations? Is there a way to calculate a more accurate Crr based on deformation and etc (the wheels might be supporting threads)? or is it a Crr guessing game?

Now if I know this rolling force, will be as if it is applied at the wheel surface? Will the torque required to overcome this force just be the radius of the wheel times the force?

Engineering news on Phys.org
And finally, what other factors should I be considering when spec'ing out a motor for this application?

Related to Rolling resistance, stiction calculation for pipe roller

1. What is rolling resistance and why is it important?

Rolling resistance refers to the force that opposes the motion of a rolling object, such as a pipe roller. It is important to calculate rolling resistance in order to determine the amount of energy required to overcome it and to ensure the smooth and efficient movement of the roller.

2. How is rolling resistance calculated?

Rolling resistance can be calculated using the formula F = c * W, where F is the rolling resistance force, c is the coefficient of rolling resistance, and W is the weight of the object. The coefficient of rolling resistance is a constant that depends on factors such as the surface conditions and materials of the rolling object.

3. What is stiction and how does it affect pipe rollers?

Stiction refers to the static friction between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. In the case of pipe rollers, stiction can cause the rollers to stick or become difficult to move, which can lead to uneven movement and potential damage to the pipes.

4. How is stiction calculated for pipe rollers?

Stiction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of static friction by the weight of the object. The coefficient of static friction is a constant that depends on the materials and surface conditions of the pipe roller and the surface it is in contact with.

5. How can rolling resistance and stiction be reduced for pipe rollers?

Rolling resistance and stiction can be reduced by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, keeping the surfaces clean and lubricated, and ensuring proper alignment and balance of the rollers. Regular maintenance and inspection can also help to identify and address any potential issues that may affect the rolling resistance and stiction of pipe rollers.