Rocket Explosion Momentum Problem: Troubleshooting for EIT Review

The solutions manual may be incorrect. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the explosion of a rocket into two fragments. The initial trajectory and mass of the rocket are given, as well as the angles and masses of the two fragments post-explosion. The conversation then discusses the use of conservation of momentum to solve for the velocities of the two fragments, and the asker wonders if the solutions manual is incorrect as their calculated values do not match the given answer.
cmmcnamara

Homework Statement

A rocket explodes into two fragments with the following information:

Initial trajectory: 150 m/s in the x-direction, mass is 40kg

Portion a, post explosion: 45 degree angle above the horizontal, 25kg

Portion b, post explosion: 30 degree angle below the horizontal, 15kg

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

pi=150(m/s)*40kg=6000 kgm/s
pa=Va[cos 45, sin 45]*25kg=Va(17.68+17.68[j])kg
pb=Vb(cos 30, -sin 30[j])*15kg=Vb(12.99-7.5[j])kg

By conservation of momentum: pi=pa+pb

Two equations in two unknowns:

17.68*Va+12.99*Vb=6000
17.68*Va-7.5*Vb=0

Solving these gives me:

Va=124.2 m/s
Vb=292.8 m/s

However this is wrong, the answer should be:

Va=43.92 m/s
Vb=146.41 m/s

What am I doing wrong here? This is such a simple problem I am reviewing for the EIT, but I cannot for the life of me find out what's wrong and I am getting all the other momentum problems correct. Is the solutions manual incorrect?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks good to me.

I agree, your sol'n is correct.

Related to Rocket Explosion Momentum Problem: Troubleshooting for EIT Review

What is a rocket momentum problem?

A rocket momentum problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the momentum of a rocket as it moves through space. This can include determining the initial momentum of the rocket, the change in momentum over time, or the final momentum at a specific point.

What factors affect the momentum of a rocket?

The momentum of a rocket is affected by its mass and velocity. The larger the mass of the rocket and the faster it is moving, the greater its momentum will be.

How is the momentum of a rocket calculated?

The momentum of a rocket can be calculated using the formula p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. This formula takes into account both the mass and velocity of the rocket.

Why is momentum important in rocket science?

Momentum is important in rocket science because it is a measure of the rocket's motion and can help determine how the rocket will respond to external forces. It is also a crucial factor in calculating the trajectory and efficiency of a rocket's flight.

What are some real-world applications of understanding rocket momentum?

Understanding rocket momentum is crucial for designing and launching spacecraft, satellites, and rockets. It is also important in analyzing and predicting the behavior of objects in space, such as asteroids and comets.