Rms current, complex area, phasors

In summary: The RMS value is defined as:What that means is that you are averaging voltage squared of a periodic function over a time interval, and then taking a square root to get the average. If you calculate RMS for a sine wave, you will end up with 0.707 factor. But for a triangle wave or a square wave or another complicated wave, RMS will be different."Power-wise" you get less than Vmax because the voltage oscillates between -Vmax and Vmax!
Bassalisk
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
why is RMS voltage used in euler complex system, and not max voltage

You can represent any sinusoid in terms of phasors regardless if it's RMS or not.

Last edited:
We usually use rms voltage because this is what's important in power consumptions considerations and such.

For example, we say that the voltage of a common power outlet is 120 V which is its rms value. This allows easy calculations of power consumption because an ac voltage of 120 V rms will have the same effect on a 1 ohm resistor than 120 V dc.

LotusEffect said:
We usually use rms voltage because this is what's important in power consumptions considerations and such.

For example, we say that the voltage of a common power outlet is 120 V which is its rms value. This allows easy calculations of power consumption because an ac voltage of 120 V rms will have the same effect on a 1 ohm resistor than 120 V dc.

U didn't get what I asked. I am asking, why didn't we extract MAX voltage from original formulas(sinusoid) but we divided it by square root of 2, and then threw it into euler's formula?

You could have kept the max voltage throughout. It's just that they convert it to rms value from the beginning because that's what is used in real life applications. Keeping the max value (amplitude) instead of rms value would do no harm to the equations. It's just that at the end you'd have ended up with the max values which are less relevant.

Thats it? Pff i was hoping for "aha" moment. Thanks!

But this RMS, why do we have that anyway? I mean if I apply 100 volts of AC, why do i get only 0,707 of that, and why that specific ratio?

Bassalisk said:
But this RMS, why do we have that anyway? I mean if I apply 100 volts of AC, why do i get only 0,707 of that, and why that specific ratio?

The RMS value is defined as:

3beeca3473e9f42bd30e03083e233946.png

What that means is that you are averaging voltage squared of a periodic function over a time interval, and then taking a square root to get the average. If you calculate RMS for a sine wave, you will end up with 0.707 factor. But for a triangle wave or a square wave or another complicated wave, RMS will be different.

Yea i see that now, thanks <3

I always teach kids to use RMS when you're dealing with power because then its P=VI* instead of P=1/2 VI*

Related to Rms current, complex area, phasors

What is Rms current?

Rms current, also known as root mean square current, is a measure of the average current in an alternating current (AC) circuit. It takes into account both the magnitude and the direction of the current, and is equal to the direct current (DC) that would produce the same amount of power in a resistor as the AC current.

What is a complex area?

A complex area is a term used in mathematics and physics to describe a region of space that has both real and imaginary components. It is often represented by a complex number, which consists of a real part and an imaginary part. In the context of electricity and electronics, complex areas are used to represent the behavior of AC circuits, where both the voltage and current can vary in magnitude and direction.

What are phasors?

Phasors are graphical representations of sinusoidal functions, commonly used in the analysis of AC circuits. They are vectors that represent the amplitude and phase of a sinusoidal quantity, such as voltage or current. Phasors are useful for simplifying complex calculations involving AC circuits, as they allow for the use of basic vector operations.

How are phasors used in circuit analysis?

Phasors are used in circuit analysis to simplify calculations involving AC circuits. By representing the amplitude and phase of sinusoidal quantities as vectors, phasors allow for the use of basic vector operations, such as addition and subtraction. This makes it easier to analyze the behavior of AC circuits and calculate important parameters such as voltage, current, and power.

What is the relationship between Rms current and phasors?

The relationship between Rms current and phasors can be understood by considering the definition of Rms current as the equivalent DC current in an AC circuit. Phasors represent the amplitude and phase of sinusoidal quantities, which are the components that make up the Rms current. By using phasors, we can calculate the Rms current in an AC circuit and analyze its behavior more easily.