RLC Circuit qualitative explanation any1?

In summary: The voltage (V) across the resistor decreases linearly (with respect to time) as current (I) flows through it. The voltage across the inductor increases as current flows through it, but only up to a certain point; beyond that, the inductor creates a voltage drop due to the inductive reactance (L). The capacitor stores energy, and as current flows through it, the capacitor tries to expel that energy (by creating a voltage drop) in order to reduce the overall voltage.
sudar_dhoni
can some one explain me the qualitative aspects of RLC circuit
i am satisfied with the vector diagrams i want the physical meaning behind
say for instance in ac with inductor when current varies induced electric field is set up which opposes the current so there is a voltage drop
similarly in capacitor it stores charges and they repel the incoming current and also for resistor
like this i want a physical explanation of RLC series circuit what happens there and also about resonance and q factor

can u explain in terms of voltage drops in inductor capacitor and resistor
see the source supplies energy to current or charges,these charges then somehow or the other they have to return to lower energy state so they drop their energy (energy is same as voltage -enegy possesed by unit charge) so they drop their voltage.All i have said till now is in
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Clas...uits/u9l1b.cfm
my doubt is that how does this happen in RLC circuit
please don't explain in terms of vector diagrams as it is not convincing
i want the physical meaning behind

Attachments

• RLC_series_circuit.png
    RLC_series_circuit.png
    578 bytes · Views: 466
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
sudar_dhoni said:
can some one explain me the qualitative aspects of RLC circuit
i am satisfied with the vector diagrams i want the physical meaning behind
say for instance in ac with inductor when current varies induced electric field is set up which opposes the current so there is a voltage drop
similarly in capacitor it stores charges and they repel the incoming current and also for resistor
like this i want a physical explanation of RLC series circuit what happens there and also about resonance and q factor

can u explain in terms of voltage drops in inductor capacitor and resistor
see the source supplies energy to current or charges,these charges then somehow or the other they have to return to lower energy state so they drop their energy (energy is same as voltage -enegy possesed by unit charge) so they drop their voltage.All i have said till now is in
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Clas...uits/u9l1b.cfm
my doubt is that how does this happen in RLC circuit
please don't explain in terms of vector diagrams as it is not convincing
i want the physical meaning behind

(The physicsclassroom link appears to have expired)

Are you familiar with the equations that relate voltage and current for the Resistor, the Inductor, and the Capacitor? That's the best place to start, in understanding how each component works with respect to how the voltage across it and the current through it are related.

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
(The physicsclassroom link appears to have expired)

Are you familiar with the equations that relate voltage and current for the Resistor, the Inductor, and the Capacitor? That's the best place to start, in understanding how each component works with respect to how the voltage across it and the current through it are related.

V=IR
E=Ldi/dt
V=Ed

sudar_dhoni said:
V=IR
E=Ldi/dt
V=Ed

Close, but not quite right.

Resistor [tex]V(t) = I(t) R[/tex]

Inductor [tex]V(t) = L \frac{dI(t)}{dt} [/tex]

Capacitor [tex]I(t) = C \frac{dV(t)}{dt}[/tex]

Related to RLC Circuit qualitative explanation any1?

1. How does an RLC circuit work?

An RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C). When an electrical current is applied to the circuit, the resistor limits the flow of current, the inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, and the capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric field. The combination of these components creates a resonant circuit, which allows for the circuit to selectively filter or amplify specific frequencies of electrical signals.

2. What is the purpose of an RLC circuit?

The purpose of an RLC circuit is to manipulate and control electrical signals. It can be used as a filter to remove unwanted frequencies from a signal, or as an amplifier to boost specific frequencies. RLC circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and audio equipment.

3. What is resonance in an RLC circuit?

Resonance in an RLC circuit occurs when the inductive and capacitive reactances cancel each other out, resulting in a large current flow through the circuit. This causes the circuit to vibrate at a specific frequency, known as the resonant frequency. Resonance is important in RLC circuits as it can be used to amplify or tune specific frequencies in a signal.

4. How do the components in an RLC circuit affect each other?

The resistor, inductor, and capacitor in an RLC circuit are interconnected and affect each other in different ways. The resistor limits the flow of current, the inductor stores energy, and the capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric field. These components can interact with each other to affect the overall behavior of the circuit, such as changing the resonant frequency or the amount of current flowing through the circuit.

5. What is the difference between a series and parallel RLC circuit?

A series RLC circuit has all three components (resistor, inductor, and capacitor) connected in a single loop, whereas a parallel RLC circuit has the components connected in separate branches. In a series RLC circuit, the components share the same current, while in a parallel RLC circuit, the components share the same voltage. This results in different behaviors and properties for each type of circuit.