Riemann tensor in normal coordinates

In summary: CD - In summary, the question is asking for a simplified expression for the Riemann tensor in terms of the connection in normal coordinates. The solution involves finding the general form of the Riemann tensor and expanding the connections to obtain a four-term expression. This is worth 3 marks in a 2 hour paper.
alcoholicsephiroth
This is essentially a "homework question", but I'm not looking for an explicit solution so I have posted it here.

1. Homework Statement

Find a simplified expression for the Riemann tensor in terms of the connection in normal coordinates.

2. Homework Equations

Riemann tensor = (derivative of connection term) - (derivative of connection term) - (connection term)(connection term) - (connection term)(connection term)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

My solution is

Riemann tensor = (derivative of connection term) - (derivative of connection term)

, where I have used the fact that the connections evaluated at point P are all 0, but their derivatives are not necessarily 0.

My problem is that 3 MARKS are allocated to this question (from a possible 60 marks in a 2 hour paper), and that this looks far too simple a solution for 3 marks.

What am I missing?

Trev

Physics news on Phys.org
alcoholicsephiroth said:
My problem is that 3 MARKS are allocated to this question (from a possible 60 marks in a 2 hour paper), and that this looks far too simple a solution for 3 marks.

What am I missing?

A 3-point question of this type tells you that you have to first determine what the general form of the Riemann tensor is in normal coordinates and then expand the connections to obtain a four-term expression for the Riemann tensor where all terms are made of the second derivatives of the metric tensor.

AB

Related to Riemann tensor in normal coordinates

1. What is the Riemann tensor in normal coordinates?

The Riemann tensor in normal coordinates is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to describe the curvature of a manifold. It is a mathematical object that measures the change in a vector as it moves along a geodesic path on a curved surface.

2. How is the Riemann tensor calculated in normal coordinates?

The Riemann tensor is calculated using the Christoffel symbols and the partial derivatives of the metric tensor. In normal coordinates, the Christoffel symbols can be simplified to just the partial derivatives of the metric tensor, making the calculation of the Riemann tensor more straightforward.

3. What is the significance of the Riemann tensor in normal coordinates?

The Riemann tensor is significant because it describes the intrinsic curvature of a manifold. It is a key component in Einstein's theory of general relativity and is used to calculate the curvature of spacetime, which is related to the distribution of matter and energy.

4. How does the Riemann tensor in normal coordinates differ from other coordinate systems?

The Riemann tensor in normal coordinates is a coordinate-independent quantity, meaning it is calculated in the same way regardless of the chosen coordinate system. However, in other coordinate systems, the Christoffel symbols may not simplify to just the partial derivatives of the metric tensor, making the calculation of the Riemann tensor more complex.

5. What are some applications of the Riemann tensor in normal coordinates?

The Riemann tensor in normal coordinates has many applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of gravitation, such as in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is also used in other fields, such as differential geometry and mathematical physics, to study the curvature and topology of manifolds.