Riemann sum where n = 3 for both left and right endpoint estimates

In summary, Vela attempted to solve a problem involving integrating a function f(x) from x=-1 to x=4 using Riemann sums with n=3, twice. However, she incorrectly summed the constant terms. Homework Statement Compute the integral that is highlighted in MyWork.jpg using Riemann sums using left and right endpoints.
s3a

Homework Statement

Compute the integral that is highlighted in MyWork.jpg using Riemann sums using left and right endpoints.

Homework Equations

##x_i* = a + i Δx##
##*x_i = a + i Δx - Δx##
##Σ_{i=1}^{n} i = n(n+1)/2##
##Σ_{i=1}^{n} i^2 = n(n+1)(2n+1)/6##

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is attached as MyWork.jpg. I've done this problem several times and, I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I would really appreciate it if someone could point out what I am doing wrong!

Attachments

• MyWork.jpg
    MyWork.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, review this post, especially item #4.

Was it the indices to the summations that you wanted me to review? (I just added them.)

If you're talking about ##*x_i## equation, it could be wrong since I derived that myself using ##x_i*## and a drawing of the rectangles and the curve but, I don't know what I did wrong (assuming that I did, in fact, do something wrong).

If it's something else, tell me and I will review it.

Hello, again.

Is what I did still not what you asked?

I'm not clear why you spend so much time writing general formulas when the problem is very specific. You are to integrate [itex]f(x)= 2x^2+ 2x+ 3[/itex], from x= 1 to x= 4, using "Riemann sums" with n= 3, twice, once using left endpoints, then using right endpoints. Okay, the distance from 1 to 4 is 4- 1= 3, as you say, and dividing into 3 equal parts means each part has length [itex]\Delta x= 1[/itex].

The left endpoints then are x= 1, 2, and 3. The Riemann sum is [itex]f(1)\Delta x+ f(2)\Delta x+ f(3)\Delta x= (f(1)+ f(2)+ f(3))\Delta x[/itex].

The right endpoints are 2, 3, and 4. The Riemann sum is [itex]f(2)\Delta x+ f(3)\Delta x+ f(4)\Delta x= (f(2)+ f(3)+ f(4))\Delta x[/itex].

That's pretty straightforward arithmetic.

It would've helped if I included the link earlier: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=686784

You just summed the constant terms incorrectly. For example, you had
$$\sum_{i=1}^3 (2i^2+2i+3) = 2\sum_{i=1}^3 i^2 + 2 \sum_{i=1}^3 i + 3\sum_{i=1}^3 1 = 2(14) + 2(6) + 3 \sum_{i=1}^3 1.$$ You got the right answer for the first two sums, but you messed up the last summation. You simply added 3 instead of 3×3=9.

Edit: Sorry, I double-posted.

HallsofIvy, I was definitely over-complicating things!

Vela, I didn't just dump the picture out of laziness; the image is clear since it was created digitally and, whoever checked my thread out had to open it anyway to see my work so, I thought it was just more convenient for whoever checks my thread out to see the question and work all in one place. Rethinking it now, though, people probably want to see the problem at a quick glance before even considering to bother answering so, I guess I will put the question in both places next time.

Thank you both!

Related to Riemann sum where n = 3 for both left and right endpoint estimates

1. What is a Riemann sum?

A Riemann sum is a method used in calculus to approximate the area under a curve by dividing the region into smaller rectangles and calculating their individual areas.

2. What is the significance of n=3 in a Riemann sum?

The value of n determines the number of rectangles used in the approximation. In this case, n=3 means that the region will be divided into 3 rectangles.

3. What is a left endpoint estimate in a Riemann sum?

A left endpoint estimate is a method of calculating a Riemann sum by using the leftmost point of each rectangle to determine its height. This can result in an underestimate of the area under the curve.

4. What is a right endpoint estimate in a Riemann sum?

A right endpoint estimate is a method of calculating a Riemann sum by using the rightmost point of each rectangle to determine its height. This can result in an overestimate of the area under the curve.

5. How accurate is a Riemann sum with n=3 for both left and right endpoint estimates?

The accuracy of a Riemann sum with n=3 for both left and right endpoint estimates depends on the shape of the curve and the size of the rectangles used. Generally, the more rectangles used, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, using only 3 rectangles may not provide a very accurate estimate compared to using a larger value of n.