Riemann integrability and uniform convergence

lys04
Was reading the Reimann integrals chapter of Understanding Analysis by Stephen Abbott and got stuck on exercise 7.2.5. In the solutions they went from having |f-f_n|<epsilon/3(a-b) to having |M_k-N_k|<epsilon/3(a-b), but I’m confused how did they do this. We know that fn uniformly converges to f, that means for any epsilon greater than 0 I can find natural number M st when n is greater than M then the distance from fn to f is less than epsilon for all x in the interval [a,b], but the supremums of fn and f in a sub interval [x_k-1,x_k] might occur at different values and I’m not sure how they’re meant to be at most epsilon apart.

Attachments

• IMG_0255.jpeg
    IMG_0255.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0253.jpeg
    IMG_0253.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0254.jpeg
    IMG_0254.jpeg
    5.7 KB · Views: 2
Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect it's a typo and the 3 in the denominator is supposed to be gone.

Edit: actually I take it back. Let's say ##M_k>N_k##. Then where ##M_k## is realized, ##f_N## is within ##\epsilon/(3(b-a))## of ##M_k## and is guaranteed to not be larger than ##N_k##, showing the inequality in your post is correct. If ##N_k\leq M_k## just do the logic in the other direction

We have for [itex]n > N[/itex] that (dropping the constant multiple of [itex]\epsilon[/itex]) [itex]|f_n(x) - f(x)| < \epsilon[/itex]. We can write this in the following two ways: [tex]
\begin{split}
f_n(x) - \epsilon &< f(x) < f_n(x) + \epsilon \\
f(x) - \epsilon &< f_n(x) < f(x) + \epsilon. \end{split}[/tex] Ignoring the lower bounds and making the right hand sides as large as possible, we find that on the particular subinterval [tex]
\begin{split}
f(x) &< f_n(x) +\epsilon \leq N_k + \epsilon \\
f_n(x) &< f(x) + \epsilon \leq M_k + \epsilon.\end{split}[/tex] Now the first tells us that [itex]N_k + \epsilon[/itex] is an upper bound for [itex]f(x)[/itex], so that [tex]M_k \leq N_k + \epsilon.[/tex] Simiilarly the second tells us that [itex]M_k + \epsilon[/itex] is an upper bound for [itex]f_n(x)[/itex] so that [tex]
N_k \leq M_k + \epsilon.[/tex] Putting these two inequlities together gives [tex]
|N_k - M_k| \leq \epsilon[/tex] as required.

Likes fresh_42