Riemann hypothesis finally gets resolved

In summary: $in summary, the riemann hypothesis is a problem that has been around for a long time and has yet to be solved. someone posted a joke about the hypothesis today, and several people found it amusing. despite this, the problem remains unsolved.
Sherlock1
Happy April fool's day! (Rofl)

Physics news on Phys.org
And just in the nick of time for the UK!

Evgeny.Makarov said:
And just in the nick of time for the UK!
You noticed! (Rofl)

I find it amazing that this problem is not solved. I think it probably received more attention than any other problem in mathematics.

I was thinking about doing this earlier! I'm happy someone else posted this joke. When I was in middle school I read about the Riemann Hypothesis for the first time and wanted so badly to prove it. How quickly I realized that this was never going to happen but I am still hoping that it will be proven in my lifetime :)

The 'fable' of the April Fool regarding the Riemann Hypothesis is 'almost automatically associated' to the Italian mathematician Enrico Bombieri but, in my opinion, it has been a sort of 'wrong replay' of a very more amusing 'piece of junk' that had as protagonist the British mathematician Godfrey Harold Hardy. 'G.H' was a really 'odd' personality and as support of that one remembers that he was 'terrified' by his own image reflected by a mirror. But more and more incredible is the following 'story' that was referred by his friend and colleague John Edensor Littlewood. To well understand the story it is necessary to say that 'G.H.' was strongly atheist, but also in that he was is some way 'unconventional'. Around the year 1911 'G.H.' made a trip to Danemark to meet the famous physicist Niels Bohr and before to start the return trip on the sea he sent a telegram to Littlewood to announce his homecoming. Littlewood received the telegram and few hours after he received a second telegram from 'G.H.' in which he announced to have 'demonstrated' the Riemann Hypothesis. Littlewood was of course surprised but the real big 'surprise' was when 'G.H.' , finally come safely home, revealed him that the 'demonstration' was a fake and supplied the following reason for his 'odd behavior'. During the return trip on sea a strong storm was broken out and hi had seriously feared for his life, so that he 'turned to God' reasoning in that way: if God exists He hates me... if God hates me, He won't permit that I die and the 'legend' of my demonstration of the Riemann Hypothesis survives (Nerd)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Riemann hypothesis finally gets resolved

1. What is the Riemann hypothesis?

The Riemann hypothesis is a mathematical conjecture that relates to the distribution of prime numbers. It was first proposed by mathematician Bernhard Riemann in 1859 and is considered to be one of the most important unsolved problems in mathematics.

2. Why is the Riemann hypothesis important?

The Riemann hypothesis has significance in various areas of mathematics, including number theory, algebra, and analysis. Its resolution would also have implications for other unsolved problems and could potentially lead to new mathematical discoveries.

3. Has the Riemann hypothesis been proved or disproved?

No, the Riemann hypothesis has not yet been proved or disproved. It remains an open problem in mathematics and has been the subject of extensive research and countless failed attempts at proof.

4. How would the resolution of the Riemann hypothesis impact the field of mathematics?

If the Riemann hypothesis is proven to be true, it would have a major impact on the field of mathematics. It would provide a deeper understanding of the distribution of prime numbers and could potentially lead to the development of new mathematical tools and techniques.

5. What recent developments have been made towards resolving the Riemann hypothesis?

In recent years, there have been several breakthroughs and new approaches proposed for tackling the Riemann hypothesis. However, none of these have been successful in proving or disproving the conjecture. The resolution of the Riemann hypothesis remains a major goal for mathematicians around the world.