Ricci Tensor Proportional to Divergence of Christoffel Symbol?

In summary, the conversation discusses the expression for the Ricci tensor given by R_{\mu \nu} = \Gamma^\rho_{\ \mu \nu, \rho}, which is derived from the weak field approximation ##g_{\mu \nu} = \eta_{\mu \nu} + h_{\mu \nu}##. The speakers then discuss the use of a sufficient gauge condition, such as h being traceless, in order for the expression to be valid. They also mention the possibility of using an isovolume coordinate system, although the practical implementation of this method is unknown.
center o bass
I'm reading an old article published by Kaluza "On the Unity Problem of Physics" where i encounter an expression for the Ricci tensor given by

$$R_{\mu \nu} = \Gamma^\rho_{\ \mu \nu, \rho}$$

where he has used the weak field approximation ##g_{\mu \nu} = \eta_{\mu \nu} + h_{\mu \nu}## where ##h## is a small deviation tensor. I have never seen this expression before. Is it true in some gauge in the weak field?

Physics news on Phys.org
Working backwards, the Riemann tensor is

Rμνστ = Γμντ,σ - Γμνσ,τ + (quadratic terms)

Dropping the quadratic terms, the Ricci tensor is

Rντ = Γμντ,μ - Γμμν,τ

The first term is what you want - how do we get rid of the second?

Γμμν = (1/2) gμλgμλ,ν = (1/2) g

To first order, g = 1 + hμμ, so I'd say a sufficient gauge condition is that h is traceless.

Bill_K said:
Working backwards, the Riemann tensor is

Rμνστ = Γμντ,σ - Γμνσ,τ + (quadratic terms)

Dropping the quadratic terms, the Ricci tensor is

Rντ = Γμντ,μ - Γμμν,τ

The first term is what you want - how do we get rid of the second?

Γμμν = (1/2) gμλgμλ,ν = (1/2) g

To first order, g = 1 + hμμ, so I'd say a sufficient gauge condition is that h is traceless.

I agree Bill K. Now I am a little bit familiar with the transverse-traceless gauge, which is a combination of the harmonic gauge ##\partial_\mu h^\mu_\nu = 0## and the trace condition ##h=\eta^{\mu \nu}h_{\mu \nu}= 0##, but as I've understood it, this gauge is only allowable in a vacuum. Is there a gauge with ##h=0## without the harmonic gauge condition for which we do not need a vacuum?

center o bass said:
I agree Bill K. Now I am a little bit familiar with the transverse-traceless gauge, which is a combination of the harmonic gauge ##\partial_\mu h^\mu_\nu = 0## and the trace condition ##h=\eta^{\mu \nu}h_{\mu \nu}= 0##, but as I've understood it, this gauge is only allowable in a vacuum. Is there a gauge with ##h=0## without the harmonic gauge condition for which we do not need a vacuum?
That's probably true if you want the field equation to be ◻hμν = Tμν, since then it would work only if Tμν was traceless also.

However in general, it seems to me you can always pick the coordinates to be "isovolume", that is, det(gμν) = const. (Although I haven't a clue how you would actually do that!)

The expression for the Ricci tensor given by Kaluza is commonly known as the "weak field approximation" and is often used in theoretical physics as a simplification of the Einstein field equations. It is true in the weak field limit, where the gravitational field is weak and can be described by a small perturbation of flat space-time. In this limit, the Christoffel symbols can be written in terms of the metric perturbation, and the Ricci tensor can be expressed as a proportionality to the divergence of the Christoffel symbols. This approximation is commonly used in calculations related to general relativity and is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of the gravitational field in the weak field limit. However, it should be noted that this expression is only valid in certain gauges and may not hold in all situations. Further analysis and calculations would be needed to fully understand the implications and limitations of this expression.

Related to Ricci Tensor Proportional to Divergence of Christoffel Symbol?

1. What is the Ricci tensor?

The Ricci tensor is a mathematical object used in the field of differential geometry to describe the curvature of a space. It is a symmetric tensor that summarizes the local curvature of a space at a given point.

2. What does it mean for the Ricci tensor to be proportional to the divergence of the Christoffel symbol?

This means that the Ricci tensor can be expressed as a linear combination of the Christoffel symbol and its derivative. In other words, the Ricci tensor is related to the rate of change of the Christoffel symbol with respect to the coordinates of the space.

3. How is the Ricci tensor related to the curvature of a space?

The Ricci tensor is a key component of the Riemann curvature tensor, which describes the curvature of a space in terms of its metric. It is a contraction of the Riemann tensor and can be used to calculate the scalar curvature, which is a measure of the overall curvature of a space.

4. What are some applications of the Ricci tensor in physics?

The Ricci tensor plays a crucial role in Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes the effects of gravity on the curvature of space-time. It is also used in various other fields of physics, such as cosmology, where it helps to model the large-scale structure of the universe.

5. How is the Ricci tensor calculated?

The Ricci tensor can be calculated using the metric tensor of a space and its derivatives. It involves taking second derivatives of the metric tensor and then performing a contraction operation. In simpler cases, the Ricci tensor can also be calculated using the formula for the curvature of a surface in three-dimensional space.