Resultant vector relative to x and y axis.

In summary, the conversation discusses an attempt at calculating the resultant vector of 3 forces, with the angles and magnitudes provided. The individual components of the resultant vector are calculated in the x and y directions, and the angle of the resultant vector is obtained through inverse tangent. While the answers appear to be correct, there is some uncertainty and the individual's calculations may need further review.
kaffekjele
I was wondering if someone could have a look at my attempt at calculating the resultant vector of 3 forces. Figure is here:http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2psrllz&s=6, and from the top down the forces are F1=24,9kN, F2=12,7kN and F3=21kN. The angles are(again from the top down) 56,4°, 15,3° and 40,6°.

I start by calculating the force in x-direction:

[itex]Rx= 24,9*cos56,4°+12,7*cos15,3°+21*cos55,9° = 37,8kN[/itex]

y-direction:

[itex]Ry= 24,9*sin56,4°-12,7*sin15,3°-21*sin55,9° = -7,15*10^-4[/itex] -which is obviously wrong, but I can't see where the error is.
(English is not my first language, so I apologize for any word and grammar mistakes.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it's "obviously wrong"?

I'm not 100% sure(I'm fairly new when it comes to mechanics and physics as a whole), but when I go on to calculate the resultant vector and the corresponding angle based on the numbers in my first post I get:

[itex] R=\sqrt{Rx^2+Ry^2} = +\sqrt{37,8^2+(-7,158*10^-4)^2}≈37,8[/itex]

I then use inverse tan Ry/Rx to get the angle:

[itex] tan^-1 Ry/rx = tan^-1 (-7,15*10^-4)/37,8 =-0,001°
[/itex]

To me this looks like an unlikely answer, and when I try to enter them into the task I get a message with "wrong".(It's a web based service so I only get "right" or "wrong" - no indication of where I've made an error, so I'd really appreciate it if someone could take a look at my calculations.

kaffekjele said:
I'm not 100% sure(I'm fairly new when it comes to mechanics and physics as a whole), but when I go on to calculate the resultant vector and the corresponding angle based on the numbers in my first post I get:

QUOTE]

Your answers are essentially correct. I computed Ry = -7.16e-4, Rx = 37.80 and θ = -1.085e-3 deg = -0.001085 deg.

I commend you for attempting to calculate the resultant vector of these forces. Your approach seems to be correct in using trigonometry to decompose the forces into their x and y components. However, there are a few potential errors in your calculations.

First, make sure you are using the correct angle for F2. In your description, you listed it as 15.3°, but in your diagram it appears to be 14.7°. This small difference could affect your final result.

Second, check your use of the sine function. Remember that sine is opposite over hypotenuse, so for F3, the angle you should use is 55.4°, not 55.9° as you have written.

Lastly, make sure you are using the correct units for your forces. In your diagram, the forces are listed as kN (kilonewtons), but in your calculations you have used N (newtons). This could also affect your final result.

Overall, I suggest double checking your angles and units, and also considering using a calculator or software to help with the calculations. Keep up the good work!

Related to Resultant vector relative to x and y axis.

1. What is a resultant vector relative to the x and y axis?

A resultant vector relative to the x and y axis is the combination of two or more vectors in a coordinate system, where each vector has a specific magnitude and direction. It represents the overall effect or magnitude of these vectors on the x and y axes.

2. How do you calculate the resultant vector relative to the x and y axis?

To calculate the resultant vector relative to the x and y axis, you need to add together all of the vectors in the x direction and then do the same for the y direction. The resultant vector can then be found using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is the square root of the sum of the squares of the x and y components, and the direction is the inverse tangent of the y component divided by the x component.

3. What is the difference between a resultant vector and a component vector?

A resultant vector is the overall effect of multiple component vectors, whereas a component vector is a single vector that makes up part of the resultant vector. The magnitude and direction of the resultant vector are determined by the combination of all component vectors.

4. Can the resultant vector be negative?

Yes, the resultant vector can be negative. This means that the overall effect of the component vectors is in the opposite direction of the positive axis. However, the magnitude of the resultant vector will always be positive.

5. How is the direction of the resultant vector relative to the x and y axis represented?

The direction of the resultant vector relative to the x and y axis is represented using the inverse tangent function. This provides the angle between the resultant vector and the positive x-axis. The direction can also be represented using compass bearings, where North is 0 degrees, East is 90 degrees, South is 180 degrees, and West is 270 degrees.