Resonant Frequency of a Cantilever

In summary: The spray itself will not have a resonant frequency. Only bodies have a resonance (in this sense of the word). The spray will act as, most likely, a constant distributed force. In the worst case it would be a periodic force of some kind that would then be a forcing function. So your concerns of resonance will center around the frequencies you calculate for the beam and hope your spray's frequency (if there is one) doesn't coincide with one of the beam's modes.HiThanks for your response. I will keep that in mind. In summary, to avoid inaccurate displacement readings, it is important to calculate the resonant frequency of the spray on the plate.
mistry
Hi

I'm currently setting up a simple cantilever beam experiment. The cantilever will be positioned vertical and a spray force will be exerted from the left hand side, causing the plate to deflect. This deflection will be measured and recorded.

My question is how do I calculate the resonant frequency of this cantilever? I need to make sure that the force exerted does not cause the plate to oscillate at its resonant frequency and hence output inaccurate displacement values. If I can find this out I could possible determine an adequate thickness and length before making it.

Similarly, the force exerted will be from a spray. Is there a way of calculating the resonant frequency of the spray on the plate, to ensure I do not reach this point and hence obtain inaccurate values.

Thank you in advance

Mistry

Engineering news on Phys.org
mistry said:
Hi

I'm currently setting up a simple cantilever beam experiment. The cantilever will be positioned vertical and a spray force will be exerted from the left hand side, causing the plate to deflect. This deflection will be measured and recorded.

My question is how do I calculate the resonant frequency of this cantilever? I need to make sure that the force exerted does not cause the plate to oscillate at its resonant frequency and hence output inaccurate displacement values. If I can find this out I could possible determine an adequate thickness and length before making it.

The natural frequency of a cantilevered uniform beam (with negligible beam weight) with a load on the free end is given by:

[tex] f_1 = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{EIg}{Wl^3}}[/tex]

mistry said:
Similarly, the force exerted will be from a spray. Is there a way of calculating the resonant frequency of the spray on the plate, to ensure I do not reach this point and hence obtain inaccurate values.

Not sure on this part. However, what you might do is determine the reaction force of the spray impinging on the beam and then use that to get your theoretical deflection. It may give you some idea as to whether or not your results are skewed by resonance.

Hope this helps.

CS

The spray itself will not have a resonant frequency. Only bodies have a resonance (in this sense of the word). The spray will act as, most likely, a constant distributed force. In the worst case it would be a periodic force of some kind that would then be a forcing function. So your concerns of resonance will center around the frequencies you calculate for the beam and hope your spray's frequency (if there is one) doesn't coincide with one of the beam's modes.

Hi

Thanks for your responses. In order for me to look into this further, 'stewartcs', can you tell me where you got the equation from or from which book?

Thanks

mistry said:
Hi

Thanks for your responses. In order for me to look into this further, 'stewartcs', can you tell me where you got the equation from or from which book?

Thanks

Any vibrations book will have that equation in it (or even a strength of materials book). That equation was specifically from Roarks Stress and Strain.

CS

Related to Resonant Frequency of a Cantilever

What is the resonant frequency of a cantilever?

The resonant frequency of a cantilever is the frequency at which it naturally vibrates when a force is applied. It is determined by the length, width, and material properties of the cantilever.

How is the resonant frequency of a cantilever calculated?

The resonant frequency of a cantilever can be calculated using the equation f = 1/2π * √(k/m), where f is the resonant frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the cantilever. Alternatively, it can also be measured experimentally using a vibration sensor.

What factors affect the resonant frequency of a cantilever?

The resonant frequency of a cantilever is affected by its length, width, and material properties such as density, stiffness, and damping. Changes in any of these factors can alter the resonant frequency of the cantilever.

Why is the resonant frequency of a cantilever important?

The resonant frequency of a cantilever is important because it can be used to determine the stiffness and mass of the cantilever. It also plays a crucial role in many applications such as in atomic force microscopy, where it is used to measure the properties of surfaces at the nanoscale.

How can the resonant frequency of a cantilever be controlled?

The resonant frequency of a cantilever can be controlled by changing its length, width, or material properties. It can also be controlled by adding additional masses to the cantilever or by varying the force applied to it. In some cases, external forces such as magnetic fields or electric fields can also be used to alter the resonant frequency of a cantilever.