Resolve 3 Forces & Find Resultant Force and Angle - Basic Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the resolution of forces and finding the resultant force and angle in a basic question. The questioner initially has a question about the angle they are getting and seeks clarification. They eventually realize their mistake and determine the correct angle to be 92 degrees counterclockwise from the positive x axis. They also mention drawing a sketch to avoid confusion with plus and minus signs.
NBAJam100

Homework Statement

Force Resolution Question-

3 forces act on something,
-a 600N force which is 50 degrees from the +x axis
-a 300N force which is 85 degrees from the +x axis
-a 700N force which is 50 degrees from the -x axis

Resultant Force and angle

The Attempt at a Solution

Yes, very basic question, not hard to get, but i had a question about the angle I am getting.

This is the set up to a much larger more complicated problem, but i figured id post it here because this part of the question is basic.

I resolved the forces and got Fx=-38.13 and Fy=1294.7, now my question comes in here. For angle i did theta= arctan(1294.7/-38.13) which is equal to -88 degrees... That doesn't seem right to me and if i go with the wrong angle for this, ill bomb the whole question.

If i plot Fx and Fy on an xy plane its clear that it is slightly past 90 degrees.An angle of -88 degrees would hint that the resultant is in Quadrant 4, when it is in fact in quadrant 2. I noticed if i add 180 to it, i get roughly 91 degrees, which sounds like it would be along the same line of action as the actual resultant. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong here? I am either missing something very obvious or what, I am not sure

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is always good to draw a sketch of the problem; otherwise, the plus and minus signs will drive you crazy. The resultant is in Quad 2, 88 degrees clockwise from the negative x axis, or 92 degrees counterclockwise from the positive x axis.

PhanthomJay said:
It is always good to draw a sketch of the problem; otherwise, the plus and minus signs will drive you crazy. The resultant is in Quad 2, 88 degrees clockwise from the negative x axis, or 92 degrees counterclockwise from the positive x axis.

Thanks jay,

Thats what i figured, I had the picture all drawn out and that's what I was getting. It was just odd to me that I wasnt getting theta= 92 degrees. I guess it just gave me the reaction force for some reason. My teacher is very nit picky so he would probably screw me for the whole problem if i just left the angle as -88 without explaining why.

Related to Resolve 3 Forces & Find Resultant Force and Angle - Basic Question

1. What is a resultant force?

A resultant force is the single force that can replace multiple forces acting on an object to produce the same effect. It is the combination of all the forces acting on an object.

2. How do you find the resultant force?

To find the resultant force, you must first identify all the forces acting on an object and their magnitudes and directions. Then, use vector addition to add all the forces together, taking into account their direction and magnitude. The resulting vector is the resultant force.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quantity?

A scalar quantity has only magnitude, while a vector quantity has both magnitude and direction. Force is an example of a vector quantity, while speed is a scalar quantity.

4. How do you find the angle of the resultant force?

To find the angle of the resultant force, you can use the inverse trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) to calculate the angle based on the sides of the triangle formed by the forces.

5. Can the resultant force be larger than any of the individual forces?

Yes, it is possible for the resultant force to be larger than any of the individual forces acting on an object. This can happen when the forces are acting in different directions and combine to produce a larger overall effect.