Resistive Force Formula help

In summary, the conversation was about finding the formula for resistive force, which includes air density, speed of the object, and cross-sectional area. The importance of this factor in determining air resistance was discussed, as well as how it relates to aerodynamics, drag coefficient, and terminal speed. The conversation also touched on how these concepts play out in real life, such as with cars and airplanes. The person asking for help was provided with two helpful websites, but it was made clear that cheating will not be tolerated.
CamDaBballer11
I'm looking for the formula for resistive force that involves "air density, speed of object, and cross-sectional area." I also need to know why it is an important factor in determinging air resistance, and include aerodynamics, drag coefficient, and terminal speed-how they relate to one another. Also how these play out in real life as in cars and airplanes.

-PLEASE ANY WEB SIGHT OF HELP YOU CAN GIVE IS APPRECIATED, beucase this is due soon! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CamDaBballer11, I am fully aware you go to Heritage High and am also quite aware of young students who choose to abuse the internet for completion of assignments. My assignment was not to ask someone for the answer, it was to independently research the topic and to come to your own conclusions. You will be receiving a failing grade for the quarter and I expect a written apology and explanation on my desk next week.

There is no excuse for deliberately disobeying my directions and attempting to cheat. And yes, I do know who you are due to student information sheets and IP logs. Do not attempt to circumvent your punishment, you are already in enough trouble.

Related to Resistive Force Formula help

1. What is the resistive force formula?

The resistive force formula, also known as the drag force formula, is a mathematical expression used to calculate the force of resistance experienced by an object moving through a fluid. It is given by the equation FR = 1/2 * ρ * v2 * A * CD, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the object, A is the cross-sectional area, and CD is the drag coefficient.

2. What is the purpose of the resistive force formula?

The resistive force formula is used to determine the amount of resistance or drag experienced by an object moving through a fluid. This is important in many fields of science, such as aerodynamics, fluid mechanics, and automotive design, as it helps to understand the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion.

3. How do you calculate the drag coefficient in the resistive force formula?

The drag coefficient (CD) in the resistive force formula is a dimensionless quantity that depends on the shape and surface properties of the object. It can be determined experimentally in a wind tunnel or by using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations. It is also possible to estimate the drag coefficient for simple objects using published data or empirical equations.

4. Is the resistive force formula only applicable to fluids?

The resistive force formula is primarily used for fluids, such as air or water. However, it can also be applied to other types of resistive forces, such as friction between two solid surfaces. In this case, the density of the fluid (ρ) would be replaced with the coefficient of friction and the velocity (v) would be the relative velocity between the two surfaces.

5. What are some real-world applications of the resistive force formula?

The resistive force formula has many practical applications, including designing efficient vehicles, calculating the impact of air resistance on structures like bridges and buildings, predicting the behavior of projectiles, and understanding the motion of objects in fluid environments like water or air. It is also used in sports science to analyze the performance of athletes and in meteorology to predict the movement of weather systems.