Representing a factorial through its pseudo Z transform

In summary, the conversation discusses the Z transform and its application to recurrence relations and differential equations. The speaker shares their derivation and results, including a curious calculation involving non-integer values. They also mention trying a similar recurrence relation and reference an article that may provide some insight.
JPaquim
Ok, so I was playing around with some Z transforms. I'm sorry about the long derivation, but I'm a bit unsure of the mathematical rigor, and want to make sure every step is clear. I started with the recurrence relation defining the factorial:
$$n!:
u_{n+1}=(n+1)u_n=u_n+nu_n $$ $$
u_0 = 1
$$
I imagined that, even though the series diverges for every z, that I could formally work with it, and so took its Z transform
$$
Z\{u_n\}(z)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty u_n z^{-n}=U(z)
$$
I was a bit rusty and decided to derive a couple of Z transform properties by hand, resulting in:
$$
Z\{u_{n+1}\}(z)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty u_{n+1} z^{-n}=
\sum_{n=1}^\infty u_{n} z^{-n+1}=
z\sum_{n=1}^\infty u_{n} z^{-n}=
z(\sum_{n=0}^\infty u_{n} z^{-n}-u_0)=
z(U(z)-u_0)
$$ $$
\frac{d}{dz}U(z)=\frac{d}{dz}\sum_{n=0}^\infty u_n z^{-n}=
\sum_{n=0}^\infty u_n \frac{d}{dz}(z^{-n})=
\sum_{n=0}^\infty u_n (-n) z^{-n-1}=
-\frac{1}{z}\sum_{n=0}^\infty n\,u_n z^{-n}=
-\frac{1}{z}Z\{n\,u_n\}(z)
$$ $$
\Leftrightarrow Z\{n\,u_n\}(z) = -z\frac{d}{dz}U(z)
$$
Applying these two properties to the recurrence relation results in the following differential equation, which I rearranged and solved using an integrating factor:
$$
z(U(z)-u_0)=U(z)-z\frac{d}{dz}U(z) $$ $$
\Leftrightarrow z\frac{d}{dz}U(z) + (z-1)U(z)=u_0z $$ $$
\Leftrightarrow \frac{d}{dz}U(z) + (1-\frac{1}{z})U(z)=u_0 $$ $$
\Leftrightarrow \frac{d}{dz}(U(z)\frac{e^z}{z})=u_0\frac{e^z}{z} $$ $$
\Leftrightarrow U(z)=ze^{-z}(u_0\int \frac{e^z}{z} dz + K)
$$
Having the Z transform, I then applied the inversion formula:
$$
u_n = Z^{-1}\{U(z)\}(n) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_\gamma U(z)z^{n-1}dz $$ $$
=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_\gamma z^n e^{-z}(u_0\int \frac{e^z}{z} dz + K)dz
$$
Only terms with non-zero residue will contribute to the contour integral. Expanding the inner integral as a power series:
$$
\int \frac{e^z}{z} dz = \int \sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{z^{m-1}}{m!}=
\sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{1}{m!}\int z^{m-1}dz = \log z + \sum_{m=1}^\infty \frac{z^m}{m!m} = \log z + f(z), $$ where f(z) is holomorphic, and so doesn't contribute to the contour integral. $$
u_n = \frac{u_0}{2\pi i}\oint_\gamma z^n e^{-z}\log z\,dz
$$
Substituting [itex] z = e^{i\theta}, d\theta=\frac{dz}{iz}[/itex], as well as [itex] u_0 = 1 [/itex] results in:
$$
n! = \frac{i}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^\pi e^{i(n+1)\theta} e^{-e^{i\theta}}\theta\,d\theta
$$
Plugging this into Mathematica, to my astonishment, produces correct results for integer n. Curious, I tried plugging in non-integer values, to see if it matched the Gamma function, or some other extension of the factorial. However, Mathematica doesn't seem to be able to carry out the calculation...
Any thoughts on this sort of computation/representation?
I also tried playing around with a similar recurrence relation:
$$ u_{n+1}=nu_n, $$
which corresponds to a somewhat simpler, constant coefficients, differential equation, with an elementary and holomorphic solution, which when plugged into the inversion formula, gives out zero for every n other than zero...

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Related to Representing a factorial through its pseudo Z transform

1. What is a factorial function?

A factorial function is a mathematical function that calculates the product of all positive integers from 1 up to a given number. It is denoted by the symbol "!" and is used to represent the number of ways in which a set of objects can be arranged.

2. What is the pseudo Z transform?

The pseudo Z transform is a mathematical tool used in signal processing to represent a discrete-time signal in the Z domain. It is similar to the traditional Z transform, but it is only applicable to signals that have a finite duration and a finite number of samples.

3. How is a factorial represented through its pseudo Z transform?

The factorial function can be represented through its pseudo Z transform by using the gamma function, which is a generalization of the factorial function. The pseudo Z transform of the factorial function is given by the gamma function evaluated at one plus the Z variable.

4. What is the significance of representing a factorial through its pseudo Z transform?

Representing a factorial through its pseudo Z transform allows for the application of Z transform techniques to factorial functions, which can be useful in various fields such as signal processing, probability, and statistics. It also provides a way to analyze and manipulate factorial functions in the Z domain.

5. Are there any limitations to representing a factorial through its pseudo Z transform?

Yes, there are some limitations to representing a factorial through its pseudo Z transform. It only applies to signals with a finite duration and a finite number of samples, and it may not accurately represent the behavior of factorial functions for large values due to the nature of the gamma function. Additionally, it may not be applicable in certain contexts where the traditional Z transform is used.