Remove aldehyde moiety (wrong word?) from aryl compound

• Thread starter JeffEvarts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    benzene
In summary: I guess it depends on the scale and whether or not it’s a key intermediate.In summary, Jeff is trying to convert 3,5-dimethyl-4-nitro-benzaldehyde to 2,6-methyl-nitrobenzene by removing the aldehyde at position 4. He is concerned about using oxidation methods and is seeking alternative suggestions. Buffu and Teethwhitener have suggested the Cannizzaro reaction followed by decarboxylation using a strong alkali. Jeff is grateful for any help with this reaction.
JeffEvarts
Presuming I have 3,5-dimethyl-4-nitro-benzaldehyde, and what I want is 2,6-methyl-nitrobenzene (same molecule, minus the -COH) is there a straightfortward way to do this conversion? Oxidizing it away seems risky: I don't want the -CH3 groups to go all -COOH on me, but I'm not an experienced enough as an O-chemist to know other ways to "address" an unwanted-aldehyde problem.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

BTW: Not interested in any help from the illicit-pharmaceuticals quadrant. My life is complicated enough without dabbling in anything illegal. :)

Thank you, and happy holidays 2017!
-Jeff

Chemistry news on Phys.org
JeffEvarts said:
2,6-methyl-nitrobenzene

That nomenclature is not correct.

JeffEvarts said:
Oxidizing it away seems risky: I don't want the -CH3 groups to go all -COOH on me,

I don't think mild oxidation will oxidise -CH3; something like PCC or [Ag(NH3)2]NO3 might work.

Thanks for your reply!
Sorry about the nomenclature. Please tell me the correct term so I can use it in the future.

I see "silver ammonium nitrate" (AgN2H4O3) But not the complex you list. What's the name for that compound?

Lastly, Pyridinium Chlorocromate ( which is the PCC I am familiar with) is the "kinder, gentler" chromic acid, and generally converts alcohols TO aldehydes.

I want to make sure I'm being clear: I'm trying to take a substituted benzene (1:nitro,2:methyl,4:aldehyde,6:methyl) and convert it to (1:nitro, 2:methyl, 6:methyl) by removing the aldehyde at position 4. If oxidation is the way to go, please let me know. If there's a better way to do it, please let me know.

Thanks Buffu

Argh... nvm on the nomenclature.

2,6-dimethyl-nitrobenzene.

-Jeff

Likes Buffu
Cannizzaro reaction then decarboxylation?

JeffEvarts said:
I see "silver ammonium nitrate" (AgN2H4O3) But not the complex you list. What's the name for that compound?

Tollens reagent.

TeethWhitener said:
Cannizzaro reaction then decarboxylation?

I think concentrated base in Cannizzaro will eat the methyl group also.

Likes JeffEvarts
In an effort to clarify, a diagram may be worth a thousand posts.

Rxn1.png

Buffu and Teethwhitener have suggested some stronger and milder oxidization reactions. (Thank you!)

Any help with this reaction would be greatly appreciated.

-Jeff

Attachments

• Rxn1.png
    Rxn1.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 562
Buffu said:
I think concentrated base in Cannizzaro will eat the methyl group also.
I seriously doubt this will happen in the absence of an oxidizer (cf. toluene pKa ~ 41). The advantage of Cannizzaro is that it’s oxidizer-free. The disadvantage is yield.

TeethWhitener said:
I seriously doubt this will happen in the absence of an oxidizer (cf. toluene pKa ~ 41). The advantage of Cannizzaro is that it’s oxidizer-free. The disadvantage is yield.

So to be clear, you're suggesting a Canizzaro reaction to produce the alcohol and the carboxilic acid, separating out the acid, and... heating with a strong alkali to drive it off as carbon dioxide? This should leave the methyl groups in place?

JeffEvarts said:
So to be clear, you're suggesting a Canizzaro reaction to produce the alcohol and the carboxilic acid, separating out the acid, and... heating with a strong alkali to drive it off as carbon dioxide? This should leave the methyl groups in place?
Yes. You sacrifice yield for a non-oxidizing environment.

Related to Remove aldehyde moiety (wrong word?) from aryl compound

1. What is an aldehyde moiety?

An aldehyde moiety is a functional group that contains a carbon atom double bonded to an oxygen atom and single bonded to a hydrogen atom. It is commonly found in organic compounds and imparts unique chemical properties.

2. How is an aldehyde moiety removed from an aryl compound?

The most common method for removing an aldehyde moiety from an aryl compound is through a reaction called reduction. This involves the addition of hydrogen atoms to the carbon-oxygen double bond, converting it into a single bond and eliminating the aldehyde group.

3. Why would someone want to remove an aldehyde moiety from an aryl compound?

There are several reasons why an aldehyde moiety may need to be removed from an aryl compound. This could be to modify the chemical properties of the compound, to reduce its toxicity, or to prepare it for further reactions.

4. Are there any alternative methods for removing an aldehyde moiety from an aryl compound?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to remove an aldehyde moiety from an aryl compound, such as oxidation or hydrolysis. However, these methods may also affect other functional groups present in the compound and may not be as efficient as reduction.

5. Can the removal of an aldehyde moiety be reversed?

In most cases, the removal of an aldehyde moiety from an aryl compound cannot be reversed. Once the reduction reaction has occurred, the aldehyde group is permanently eliminated. However, it is possible to add an aldehyde moiety back onto the compound through a different reaction if desired.

Back