Remember the iconic TV intros of the 80s?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary: I guess that makes sense, since they'd need to be able to license the music.Oh, hmmm...I don't know. I didn't bother installing WMP (I'm not about to contaminate my precious little Mac with a Windows program :biggrin:) so didn't actually view any of the files (most are too large for me to download right now anyway, I'm only on a dialup connection...now that I have a high speed computer, I'll probably splurge on high speed internet, but want to get airport first, and just figure out which room I want the connection into get the best signal everywhere).
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The good old time when there was still real television :wink:
tv intro's: http://www.yasin.be/42i2jh/tvintro.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where's Transformers? They had an awesome intro.

I like TV shows without the intros, since there's usually a commercial break between the intro and the actual show.

Without the intro, the show immediately beings, like Seinfeld.

Great television was during the 90's. Now, all my favourite shows and the best sitcoms have retired: Seinfeld, Friends, Frasier, Fresh Prince.

Transformers should be in there :)

I'm with you on the sitcoms..

:surprise: Wooohooo! Awesome!

Of that list, here's what I used to watch or still do:

The A-Team, Simpsons, Alf, Batman, Blossom, alvin and the Chipmunks, Captain Planet, Cops, The Cosby Show, Dennis the Menace, Denver the Last Dinosaur, A Different World, Dinosaurs, Ducktales, Family Ties, Flintstones, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Full House, Ghostbusters, G.I. JOE, Growing Pains, The Gummi Bears, Samurai Pizza Cats, Inspector Gadget, MacGyver, Married With Children, My Secret Identity, Perfect Strangers, Rescue Rangers, Saved by the Bell, Step by Step, Super Mario Bros Super Show, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Webster, Who's the Boss?, Muppet Show, The Jetsons, The Legend of Zelda, Dukes of Hazard, Star Trek Enterprise.

Good times...

There's a Transformers movie being made. I'm so excited. This used to be my favorite when I was growing up.

One of the best intro's ever was the one for "Ironside". It was early 70's though. I also liked "The Prisoner". I can't think of any intro's from teh 80s that I liked. Today, while I no longer like the show, I still like the intro for "Malcom in the Middle".

Njorl

PS - Yesterday, I was actually looking for the "Ironside" theme to stick on my PC, but they want $1.85 for it! No way!

Last edited:
Ach, my two favorite TV show theme songs got snubbed: Sanford and Son and Barney Miller. Two of the funkiest bass lines on TV.

Wasn't the Ironside music also used in Kill Bill right before 'the bride' goes ballistic? I love that song.

I just watched the Mario Bros theme for the first time in probably a dozen years. Wow, that has to be THE WORST opening ever.

I remember that in the eighties I was addicted to a series called Battlestar Galactica. Then they made a movie of it. But in the 80s I practically only watched cartoons, as I was still a kid
Not only series, I consider that the music made in the 80s is the best ever produced

There's a Transformers movie being made. I'm so excited. This used to be my favorite when I was growing up.

Where did you get this news? If another movie is coming out, that'll be great!

Are we talking about the good, 80's transformers with Optimus Prime and Megatron? Or that Beasties junk?

The Waynes Brothers had a good intro.

Edit: There site isn't very Mac friendly. :frown:

Transformers is on that page...near the bottom. But they left out the Smurfs! They have the Gummi Bears and Snorkels, so why did they leave out those smurfy blue folks?

Very few on that page I don't remember watching! Yep, those were the good ole days of real TV shows, not reality TV shows. There's such garbage on TV nowadays, it's hardly worth even owning the TV. I guess that's why I spend my free time online rather than in front of the TV anymore.

What do you mean, not mac friendly? I'm looking at it now, and am using a Mac. The files there are all different formats though, so whether you'll have software to run them depends on the file.

Last edited:
:Eek: I had no idea Smallville was an 80's show ! Doubles my respect for it.

It doesn't seem to just be 80s shows. There are a lot on there that were from the 70s or 90s too.

What do you mean, not mac friendly? I'm looking at it now, and am using a Mac. The files there are all different formats though, so whether you'll have software to run them depends on the file

Windows Media Player for the Mac will run the sound, but no images. I'm assuming this is a problem.

Oh, hmmm...I don't know. I didn't bother installing WMP (I'm not about to contaminate my precious little Mac with a Windows program :biggrin:) so didn't actually view any of the files (most are too large for me to download right now anyway, I'm only on a dialup connection...now that I have a high speed computer, I'll probably splurge on high speed internet, but want to get airport first, and just figure out which room I want the connection into get the best signal everywhere).

I actually hadn't considered they'd have video, I was just expecting soundtracks, so I probably still wouldn't have noticed if I did play them.

but want to get airport first, and just figure out which room I want the connection into get the best signal everywhere).

Get Airport Express!

I actually hadn't considered they'd have video, I was just expecting soundtracks, so I probably still wouldn't have noticed if I did play them.

That's why I'm only assuming this is a problem. I'm not completely sure.

Airport express doesn't come with a modem connection. And I can't find the range for it listed anywhere, so I don't know if it's the same as the airport extreme base station range, or possibly more limited? It sounds more like it's just meant to help extend the airport network if you're interested in playing your iTunes on your stereo speakers, but since I don't have any of those, there's not much point. I need the full range for my house because I also want to be able to use my laptop while sitting outside on my deck (currently I just a VERY long phone cord that I run out a window...mostly I don't mind the modem, except when my dingy friends insist on emailing me a dozen pictures of their kids in one email and it takes all night to download...I don't need that many pictures, I don't want that many pictures, and if they want to share that many pictures, they should create a website!).

Anyway, this is probably why I'm having fun with a topic discussing 80's TV shows. I've only just caught up with the 90's by getting a DVD player this year. And I still only get whatever TV channels come in with bunny ears. Cable is such a rip-off that I'm even reluctant to get the high speed internet through a cable company.

check said:
Wasn't the Ironside music also used in Kill Bill right before 'the bride' goes ballistic? I love that song.

Yep. I had forgotten all about it for years. When I heard it, I was thinking, "What is that?" Then, as soon as the last 6 notes played, I saw Raymond Burr's face in my mind's eye.

Njorl

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Remember the iconic TV intros of the 80s?

What are some iconic TV intros from the 80s?

Some iconic TV intros from the 80s include "The A-Team", "Cheers", "The Cosby Show", "Knight Rider", and "The Golden Girls".

What made these TV intros so memorable?

These intros often featured catchy theme songs, memorable characters, and visually appealing sequences that stuck with viewers long after the show ended.

How did these TV intros contribute to the success of the shows?

The iconic TV intros of the 80s helped to establish a strong brand for the show and create a lasting impression on viewers, which in turn helped to attract and retain a loyal audience.

Were there any common themes or elements among these TV intros?

Many of these intros featured a montage of clips from the show's episodes, showcasing the characters and their personalities, as well as the show's signature catchphrases.

Do any modern TV shows still use similar intros?

While the style of TV intros has certainly evolved over the years, some modern shows still incorporate elements of the classic 80s intros, such as the use of a catchy theme song and character introductions.