Remarks on Limit Superrior .... B&S Page 82 .... Example ....

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding the Density Theorem and its implications for subsequential limits. The theorem states that every number in the interval [0,1] can be approximated by a sequence of rational numbers. Using induction, this sequence can be constructed to converge to the given number. This theorem is then used to explain how every number in [0,1] can be a subsequential limit of a given sequence. Further clarification is requested and provided by Opalg.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Introduction to Real Analysis" (Fourth Edition) b Robert G Bartle and Donald R Sherbert ...

I am focused on Chapter 3: Sequences and Series ...

I need help in fully understanding an example given by B&S in some introductory remarks on Limit Superior and Limit Inferior ...The first part of the introductory remarks read as follows:View attachment 7315

In the third paragraph of the above text, starting: "An extreme example ... ... " we read the following:

" ... ... Then it follows from the Density Theorem 2.4.8 that every number in \(\displaystyle [0, 1]\) is a subsequential limit of \(\displaystyle ( r_n )\). ... ... "Can someone please explain exactly how it follows from the Density Theorem 2.4.8 that every number in \(\displaystyle [0, 1]\) is a subsequential limit of \(\displaystyle ( r_n )\)?

Peter==================================================================================The above post refers to B&S's Density Theorem so I am proving the text of the teorem and its corollary ... as follows ... ...View attachment 7316

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Can someone please explain exactly how it follows from the Density Theorem 2.4.8 that every number in \(\displaystyle [0, 1]\) is a subsequential limit of \(\displaystyle ( r_n )\)?
Let $x$ be a number in $[0,1]$. One idea would be to use induction to construct a sequence $(s_n)$ of rational numbers such that $|x-s_n| <1/n$. Such a sequence certainly converges to $x$.

The induction starts by taking $s_1$ to be any rational number in the unit interval $[0,1]$, say $s_1 = 1/2$.

For the inductive step, suppose that $s_1,s_2,\ldots,s_n$ have already been chosen. By the Density Theorem, there exists a rational number in the interval $ I_{n+1} = (x - \frac1{n+1},x + \frac1{n+1})$. We want to choose $s_{n+1}$ to be such a number. But there are two possible snags to doing this.

First, the interval $ I_{n+1}$ may extend beyond the unit interval. We can get around that by shortening $ I_{n+1}$, replacing its lower limit by $0$ or its upper limit by $1$, as necessary.

Second, and more seriously, $ I_{n+1}$ may contain one or more of the numbers $s_1,s_2,\ldots,s_n$ that have already been chosen. But there are only finitely many of those numbers, so again we can can shorten $ I_{n+1}$ to exclude them all. The shortened version of $ I_{n+1}$ will still, by the Density Theorem, contain a rational number, which we can choose as $s_{n+1}$.

Opalg said:
Let $x$ be a number in $[0,1]$. One idea would be to use induction to construct a sequence $(s_n)$ of rational numbers such that $|x-s_n| <1/n$. Such a sequence certainly converges to $x$.

The induction starts by taking $s_1$ to be any rational number in the unit interval $[0,1]$, say $s_1 = 1/2$.

For the inductive step, suppose that $s_1,s_2,\ldots,s_n$ have already been chosen. By the Density Theorem, there exists a rational number in the interval $ I_{n+1} = (x - \frac1{n+1},x + \frac1{n+1})$. We want to choose $s_{n+1}$ to be such a number. But there are two possible snags to doing this.

First, the interval $ I_{n+1}$ may extend beyond the unit interval. We can get around that by shortening $ I_{n+1}$, replacing its lower limit by $0$ or its upper limit by $1$, as necessary.

Second, and more seriously, $ I_{n+1}$ may contain one or more of the numbers $s_1,s_2,\ldots,s_n$ that have already been chosen. But there are only finitely many of those numbers, so again we can can shorten $ I_{n+1}$ to exclude them all. The shortened version of $ I_{n+1}$ will still, by the Density Theorem, contain a rational number, which we can choose as $s_{n+1}$.

Thanks Opalg ...

Still reflecting on what you have written ...

Peter

Related to Remarks on Limit Superrior .... B&S Page 82 .... Example ....

1. What is the significance of "Remarks on Limit Superrior" in B&S Page 82?

The "Remarks on Limit Superrior" section in B&S Page 82 discusses the concept of the limit superior in mathematical analysis. It provides an example to help understand this concept and its applications in real-world problems.

2. What is the limit superior in mathematical analysis?

The limit superior is a mathematical concept that represents the largest possible limit of a sequence or function. It is denoted as "lim sup" and is used to determine the behavior of a sequence as it approaches infinity.

3. How is the limit superior different from the limit inferior?

The limit superior and limit inferior are two concepts that are used to describe the behavior of a sequence or function. The main difference between them is that the limit superior represents the largest limit and the limit inferior represents the smallest limit.

4. How can understanding the limit superior be helpful in solving real-world problems?

The limit superior has various applications in different fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can help in predicting the behavior of a system or process as it approaches infinity, which can be useful in making decisions and solving problems.

5. Is there a specific example provided in B&S Page 82 to explain the limit superior?

Yes, the "Remarks on Limit Superrior" section in B&S Page 82 provides an example of a sequence of numbers and its limit superior. This example helps in understanding how the limit superior is calculated and its significance in mathematical analysis.