Relativistic Momentum of photon

In summary: So the answer for part B would be 20.1 MeV/c. In summary, to accelerate a proton from rest up to a speed of 0.999c, the momentum of the proton would be 20.1 MeV/c.
Blue Kangaroo

Homework Statement

How much work is required to accelerate a proton from rest up to a speed of 0.999c?
What would be the momentum of this proton?

Homework Equations

p=γmv

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part A, which was the momentum. I found that to be 20.1 GeV. Now for part B I have to find the momentum in units of GeV/c. I'm down to my last attempt on Mastering Physics. First, I tried going the simplest route and divided the 20.1 GeV from part A by c to get 6.7e-8 and that was wrong. I also tried using p=γmv to find an answer of 1.12e-5 J, which I converted to 7.01e-8 GeV, then divided that by c and got an incorrect figure of 2.34e-16.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Blue Kangaroo said:

Homework Statement

How much work is required to accelerate a proton from rest up to a speed of 0.999c?
What would be the momentum of this proton?

Homework Equations

p=γmv

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part A, which was the momentum. I found that to be 20.1 GeV. Now for part B I have to find the momentum in units of GeV/c. I'm down to my last attempt on Mastering Physics. First, I tried going the simplest route and divided the 20.1 GeV from part A by c to get 6.7e-8 and that was wrong. I also tried using p=γmv to find an answer of 1.12e-5 J, which I converted to 7.01e-8 GeV, then divided that by c and got an incorrect figure of 2.34e-16.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you find a formula that relates the energy to the momentum of a particle?

Would that be E^2=p^2c^2 + m^2c^4? If that is the correct equation, I came up with an answer of 1.35e-6.

Blue Kangaroo said:
Would that be E^2=p^2c^2 + m^2c^4? If that is the correct equation, I came up with an answer of 1.35e-6.

You could use that one. But, what about using ##E = \gamma mc^2## and ##p = \gamma mv##?

Honestly, I'm not quite sure what I would do with those equations. I saw that a guy on Yahoo Answers did K/c=mvγ and that led me to an answer of 7.01e-8. I'm not confident that that is right though. Any idea if my answer of 1.35e-6 from my previous post is right?

Blue Kangaroo said:
Honestly, I'm not quite sure what I would do with those equations. I saw that a guy on Yahoo Answers did K/c=mvγ and that led me to an answer of 7.01e-8. I'm not confident that that is right though. Any idea if my answer of 1.35e-6 from my previous post is right?

I think your problem is probably understanding ##eV## units. The mass of a particle is normally given in ##MeV/c^2##. For example, the proton mass is about ##938 MeV/c^2##.

The energy of a particle is, therefore, ##E = \gamma m## where ##E## is in ##MeV## and ##m## is the mass in ##MeV/c^2##.

Momentum is given in units of ##MeV/c## and we have ##p = \gamma mv/c## in these units.

In this case ##v/c = 0.999 \approx 1## so we have ##p \approx \gamma m = E##.

These units take a bit of time and practice to get used to, but you can see how using them can simplify the calculations.

Yes, thank you it makes sense now.

Related to Relativistic Momentum of photon

1. What is the formula for relativistic momentum of a photon?

The formula for relativistic momentum of a photon is p = E/c, where p represents momentum, E is the energy of the photon, and c is the speed of light.

2. How does the relativistic momentum of a photon differ from classical momentum?

Classical momentum is given by the formula p = mv, where m is mass and v is velocity. However, this formula does not accurately describe the momentum of a photon, which has no rest mass. The formula for relativistic momentum takes into account the energy of the photon and the fact that its speed is always c.

3. Can a photon have infinite momentum?

No, a photon cannot have infinite momentum. According to the formula p = E/c, the momentum of a photon is directly proportional to its energy. Since the energy of a photon is finite, its momentum must also be finite.

4. How does the relativistic momentum of a photon change with its frequency?

The frequency of a photon is directly related to its energy, and therefore its momentum. As the frequency increases, the energy and momentum of the photon also increase. This can be seen in the formula p = E/c, where E is directly proportional to the frequency of the photon.

5. Can the relativistic momentum of a photon be negative?

No, the relativistic momentum of a photon cannot be negative. According to the formula p = E/c, both E and c are always positive quantities. Therefore, the momentum of a photon must also be positive.