Relationship between metric tensor and position vector

In summary: I think you're saying that the Riemann curvature tensor can be written as the following:$$R^{k}_{\cdot n i j}= \frac{\delta \Gamma^{k}_{j n}}{\delta Z^{i}} - \frac{\delta \Gamma^{k}_{i n}}{\delta Z^{j}}
redtree
Given the definition of the covariant basis (##Z_{i}##) as follows:

$$Z_{i} = \frac{\delta \textbf{R}}{\delta Z^{i}}$$

Then, the derivative of the covariant basis is as follows:

$$\frac{\delta Z_{i}}{\delta Z^{j}} = \frac{\delta^2 \textbf{R}}{\delta Z^{i} \delta Z^{j}}$$

Which is also equal to the following:

$$\frac{\delta Z_{i}}{\delta Z^{j}} = \Gamma^{k}_{i j} Z_{k}$$

Such that:

$$\frac{\delta^2 \textbf{R}}{\delta Z^{i} \delta Z^{j}}=\Gamma^{k}_{i j} Z_{k}$$

(which is one way we know that ##i## and ##j## commute)

Then if we take the derivative of ##\frac{\delta Z_{i}}{\delta Z^{j}}## with respect to ##Z^{k}##, is the following equation true?:

$$\frac{\delta^2 Z_{i}}{\delta Z^{j} \delta Z^{k}} = \frac{\delta^3 \textbf{R}}{\delta Z^{i} \delta Z^{j} \delta Z^{k}}$$

The reason I ask is to see if the following is true:

$$\textbf{Z}^{k} \left( \frac{\delta^2 \textbf{Z}_{j}}{\delta Z^{i} \delta Z^{n}} - \frac{\delta^2 \textbf{Z}_{i}}{\delta Z^{j} \delta Z^{n}} \right) = \textbf{Z}^{k} \left(\frac{\delta^3 \textbf{R}}{\delta Z^{i}\delta Z^{j} \delta Z^{n}} -\frac{\delta^3 \textbf{R}}{\delta Z^{i}\delta Z^{j} \delta Z^{n}} \right)=0$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your notation. In an affine space you can define a position vector (which implies that this concept doesn't apply in General Relativity, where the spacetime is pseudo-Riemannian manifold but not an affine space) and parametrize a certain part of the affine space with general coordinates ##q^j##. Then at each point in this domain you can define a corresponding basis of tangent vectors of the coordinate lines
$$\vec{b}_j=\frac{\vec{R}}{\partial q^j}.$$
The Christoffel symbols are then defined as (Einstein summation convention implied)
$$\frac{\partial \vec{b}_j}{\partial q^k}=\Gamma^{i}_{jk} \vec{b}_i.$$
Since
$$\frac{\partial \vec{b}_j}{\partial q^k}=\frac{\partial^2 \vec{R}}{\partial q^j \partial q^k} = \frac{\partial^2 \vec{R}}{\partial q^k \partial q^j}$$
this definition implies
$$\Gamma_{jk}^i=\Gamma_{kj}^i,$$
i.e., an affine space is tortion free.

Of course, you can now go on and take further derivatives to define all kinds of relations.

Notation from Introduction to Tensor Analysis... (Pavel Grinfeld).
Got it; makes sense.

One other question:

The Riemann-Christoffel Tensor (##R^{k}_{\cdot n i j}##) is defined as:

$$
R^{k}_{\cdot n i j}= \frac{\delta \Gamma^{k}_{j n}}{\delta Z^{i}} - \frac{\delta \Gamma^{k}_{i n}}{\delta Z^{j}}+ \Gamma^{k}_{i l} \Gamma^{l}_{j n}- \Gamma^{k}_{j l} \Gamma^{l}_{i n}
$$Given following equation for the Christoffel symbol (##\Gamma^{k}_{i j}##):

$$
\Gamma^{k}_{i j} = \textbf{Z}^{k} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_{i}}{\delta Z^{j}}
$$Based on this equation, we consider the following term in the Riemann curvature tensor equation

$$

\begin{align}

\Gamma^{k}_{il}\Gamma^{l}_{jn} &= \textbf{Z}^{k} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_i}{\delta Z^{l}} \textbf{Z}^{l} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_j}{\delta Z^{n}}

\\

&=\textbf{Z}^{k l} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_i}{\delta Z^{l}} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_j}{\delta Z^{n}}

\end{align}

$$Similarly:

$$

\begin{align}

\Gamma^{k}_{j l}\Gamma^{l}_{i n} &= \textbf{Z}^{k} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_j}{\delta Z^{l}} \textbf{Z}^{l} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_i}{\delta Z^{n}}

\\

&=\textbf{Z}^{k l} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_j}{\delta Z^{l}} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_i}{\delta Z^{n}}

\\

&=\textbf{Z}^{k l} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_i}{\delta Z^{l}} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_j}{\delta Z^{n}}

\end{align}

$$Thus:

$$
\Gamma^{k}_{i l} \Gamma^{l}_{j n}- \Gamma^{k}_{j l} \Gamma^{l}_{i n}=0
$$If this is true, the Riemann curvature tensor can be simply written as follows:

$$
R^{k}_{\cdot n i j}= \frac{\delta \Gamma^{k}_{j n}}{\delta Z^{i}} - \frac{\delta \Gamma^{k}_{i n}}{\delta Z^{j}}
$$

Where is my mistake? I'm not sure.

Related to Relationship between metric tensor and position vector

1. What is the metric tensor?

The metric tensor is a mathematical object that describes the geometry of a space. It is represented by a matrix of numbers and is used to calculate distances, angles, and other geometric properties in that space.

2. How is the metric tensor related to the position vector?

The metric tensor is related to the position vector through the concept of a metric. The metric is a function that takes in two position vectors and outputs a number representing the distance between those two points. The metric tensor is used to define this metric and therefore describes the relationship between position vectors in a space.

3. What is the significance of the metric tensor in physics?

The metric tensor is of great importance in physics, particularly in the theory of general relativity. It is used to describe the curvature of spacetime and how objects move in that curved space. It is also used in determining the equations of motion for particles and fields in a given space.

4. How does the metric tensor change in different coordinate systems?

The metric tensor can change in different coordinate systems because it is a tensor, which means its components can change under a change of coordinates. However, the underlying geometry described by the metric tensor remains the same, regardless of the coordinate system used.

5. Can the metric tensor be used to describe relationships in non-Euclidean spaces?

Yes, the metric tensor can be used to describe relationships in non-Euclidean spaces, such as curved spaces. In these spaces, the metric tensor may have non-constant components, which means that the distance between two points may vary depending on the path taken between them. This is an important concept in general relativity and other areas of physics.