Relation between linear and angular momentum

In summary, the textbook explanation of the assertion is not correct because it does not mention the connection between F and τ.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Assertion- If linear momentum of particle is constant, then its angular momentum about any axis will also remain constant
Reason-Linear momentum remains constant when net force is 0, angular momentum remains constant when net torque is zero
which of these statements is/are true? is the reason the correct explanation of the assertion or not?

Homework Equations

dP/dt=F(net)
dL/dt=torque(net)

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the example of a rod of length l, when two equal and opposite forces act on its ends the net force is zero but net torque about center is Fl. Therefore linear momentum is conserved but angular momentum is not but my textbook says both assertion and reason are true but reason is not correct explanation of assertion- I can't figure out how I'm wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

Assertion- If linear momentum of particle is constant, then its angular momentum about any axis will also remain constant
Reason-Linear momentum remains constant when net force is 0, angular momentum remains constant when net torque is zero
which of these statements is/are true? is the reason the correct explanation of the assertion or not?
I would say that’s a correct explanation. The way that comes to mind for me is to differentiate the definition of angular momentum:
dL/dt = d(rxp)/dt = rx(dp/dt) + (dr/dt)xp
(x is the vector cross product)
The first term is zero because dp/dt is zero by assertion. The second term is zero because it’s the cross product of parallel vectors. Thus, dL/dt = 0 or L = constant, as desired.

Nathanael said:
I would say that’s a correct explanation. The way that comes to mind for me is to differentiate the definition of angular momentum:
dL/dt = d(rxp)/dt = rx(dp/dt) + (dr/dt)xp
(x is the vector cross product)
The first term is zero because dp/dt is zero by assertion. The second term is zero because it’s the cross product of parallel vectors. Thus, dL/dt = 0 or L = constant, as desired.
ah! that's a beautiful proof for the assertion to be correct, but what's wrong with my rod example? and in your proof you didn't use the 'reason' statement anywhere so that means both are correct but the 'reason' statement is not an explanation for the assertion?

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
ah! that's a beautiful proof for the assertion to be correct, but what's wrong with my rod example? and in your proof you didn't use the 'reason' statement anywhere so that means both are correct but the 'reason' statement is not an explanation for the assertion?
Ah yes, the rod, I meant to mention that ... rods are not particles!

The “reason” (F = 0) is correct but it’s only half the answer. The other thing to mention is that the torque τ (rate of change of L) is equal to r x F and is therefore also zero. It’s the same proof as mine I just start from L instead of τ

Nathanael said:
Ah yes, the rod, I meant to mention that ... rods are not particles!

The “reason” (F = 0) is correct but it’s only half the answer. The other thing to mention is that the torque τ (rate of change of L) is equal to r x F and is therefore also zero. It’s the same proof as mine I just start from L instead of τ
Oh yes, I overlooked that it isn't a particle, and I got your beautiful proof too, in your last message do you mean to say that for a particle if net F is 0, net torque is 0 too...that seems very intuitive for a point mass but the "reason" never directly mentioned the connection...which is probably why the textbook says it isn't a correct explanation of the assertion

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
in your last message do you mean to say that for a particle if net F is 0, net torque is 0 too...that seems very intuitive for a point mass but the "reason" never directly mentioned the connection...which is probably why the textbook says it isn't a correct explanation of the assertion
Yes, it seems the only thing left out of their reasoning to make it correct is the connection τ = r x (∑F) which gives the implication [∑F=0]⇒[τ=0]

Notice if it was an extended body or system of particles we would have τ = ∑(r x F) where the r cannot be factored out because the mass is not all at one point, and so the implication fails.

Nathanael said:
Yes, it seems the only thing left out of their reasoning to make it correct is the connection τ = r x (∑F) which gives the implication [∑F=0]⇒[τ=0]

Notice if it was an extended body or system of particles we would have τ = ∑(r x F) where the r cannot be factored out because the mass is not all at one point, and so the implication fails.
Excellent! All concepts for the day made beautifully clear...no teacher in my school could do so such explicitly and for such an extended time. I love this forum

Likes Nathanael

Related to Relation between linear and angular momentum

1. What is the definition of linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion in a straight line, and is equal to the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is linear momentum related to angular momentum?

Linear momentum and angular momentum are related through the concept of rotation. When an object is rotating, it has both linear and angular momentum. The linear momentum of an object is equal to its angular momentum divided by its radius.

3. Can linear momentum be converted into angular momentum and vice versa?

Yes, linear momentum can be converted into angular momentum and vice versa. This is demonstrated through the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant.

4. How does changing the distance from the axis of rotation affect angular momentum?

The further an object is from the axis of rotation, the greater its angular momentum will be. This is because the radius is a factor in the calculation of angular momentum, so increasing the distance will increase the overall value.

5. Is it possible for an object to have angular momentum but no linear momentum?

Yes, it is possible for an object to have angular momentum but no linear momentum. This can occur when an object is rotating around its own axis, but not moving in a linear direction. An example of this is a spinning top.