Related rates: How fast is a runner going to 1st base, as seen from 2nd base?

karush
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary: find how fast the distance is changing from 3rd base to a runer going to first base

Mentor note: Thread has been moved from a technical math section, so is missing the homework template.
A baseball diamond is a square with side 90 feet. A batter hits the ball and runs
toward first base with a speed of 28 feet per second.

\item [a] At what rate is his distance from second base decreasing when he is halfway to first base?

Draw a picture of the baseball diamond. The baseball player hits from home base and runs counterclockwise
towards first base. Then the player can continue counterclockwise to reach second
base, followed by third base.

so s^2=90^2+x^2

picture of field

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look, I don't want to give you another infraction for no effort shown on your schoolwork. Your link generates an error.

Please type your work into the forum, and use the "Attach files" link to upload the diagram of the question. Thank you.

berkeman said:
Look, I don't want to give you another infraction for no effort shown on your schoolwork. Your link generates an error.

Please type your work into the forum, and use the "Attach files" link to upload the diagram of the question. Thank you.
infraction????
ws07.10.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
berkeman said:

I t tried to post a drawing but it never went thru thats parts of hw

Use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window to upload a PDF or JPEG image. Please do it in a new reply. Thanks.

karush said:
infraction????
Three strikes and your out!

• Haha
Likes erobz and topsquark