Regal Theatres' Cellphone Jammer Plan: Legal and Feasible?

• Thread starter slugcountry
  • Start date
However, there are concerns about blocking important emergency calls and the potential for interference with other radio signals. The FCC has issued warnings and penalties for the use of cell phone jammers, but has yet to take any action due to lack of complaints. Overall, it may be more effective to have ushers enforce quietness in theaters rather than relying on jamming technology.
slugcountry
A recent plan by Regal Theatres to arm consumers with a button to call in ushers if someone is on their cellphone during a film got me thinking: Why not just jam cellphone transmissions inside theatres? Is it legal? Or even feasable?

http://sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003&articleID=000E82A96E908E73372BED4E5CB98096

Computer science news on Phys.org
I didn't bother checking your link, because I suspect that it's the same article that I read a few months ago.
Certainly it's legal. Cell phones are more of a nuissance than second-hand smoke. As long as the damping field doesn't extend beyond the property of the user, there's nothing that anyone can do about it. (This assumes, of course, that said field doesn't cause any harm such as reprogramming pacemakers.)
Anyone who is awaiting such an important call that it must be answered without regard to others has no right being in a public place anyhow. He should be sitting at home waiting for the call. In the case of someone like an on-call doctor, a simple pager (on a non-damped frequency) has always been sufficient in the past. Otherwise, arrangements can be made in advance with the management to have a call routed to the office and an usher dispatched to fetch the guy.

Oooo, dang. Good point about pagers. I started thinking along the lines of how would you not block 911 calls from inside the theater, but the argument could be made that if there were an emergency, it would be better to walk up the aisle to the lobby and use a land line anyway.

But the emergency pager issue -- that's harder. I don't know how the new pagers work... I think the old ones in the US just piggy-backed on AM or FM broadcast band signals, but I'm not even sure about that. Anybody know? Maybe I'll google if I get some time this afternoon.

Jamming might be legal in Danger's country of residence but it's expressly illegal in the US. Even on private property. Whether you can do it is a different question; the FCC has never prosecuted any violators. But only passive methods like screening your building with metal mesh are legal in the US.

marcusl said:
Jamming might be legal in Danger's country of residence but it's expressly illegal in the US. Even on private property. Whether you can do it is a different question; the FCC has never prosecuted any violators. But only passive methods like screening your building with metal mesh are legal in the US.

I don't know about that for jamming levels that are below the FCC unintentional radiator limits for the associated bands. But there is that clause about how you're not supposted to cause interference with valid commercial traffic, so I guess you're right.

Interesting point about the shielded buildings. I wonder if they have to post signs at entries so that people with life-critical pager services know that they will be off the air inside...

Not only have some theaters been experimenting with cell phone jammers, there was a recent story about text messaging jammers for teachers. Students are using text messaging to cheat during tests.

However,
The FCC has fielded enough queries about the legality of cell phone jammers that it issued a notice last year. In it, the agency warns that jammers violate federal laws that broadly prohibit interfering with licensed radio spectrum. Owning, manufacturing, marketing, offering for sale or operating a cell phone jammer is punishable by an $11,000 fine and up to a year in prison for each offense, the notice states.

Stern warnings to the contrary, the agency has never seized a single jammer or prosecuted an operator to the best of his knowledge, said Richard Welch, associate chief of the FCC's Enforcement Bureau.

"We haven't taken any actions because nobody has complained," Welch said, adding that it was possible jammer users were simply flying under the FCC's radar.[continued]
http://www.newhousenews.com/archive/story1a092200.html

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
I don't know how the new pagers work... I think the old ones in the US just piggy-backed on AM or FM broadcast band signals, but I'm not even sure about that. Anybody know? Maybe I'll google if I get some time this afternoon.

As a Ham I'm surprised you don't know this.

Averagesupernova said:
As a Ham I'm surprised you don't know this.

Oh, it's worse than that. I've been working with RF more lately at work (I can't say why). Just haven't had a reason to look up pagers. Guess I better now, though, eh? :blushing:

The thing with M.D.s on-call, though, is that they already have to carry cell-phones, and generally aren't issued pagers anymore anyway (they receive pages to their cell phones). No point carrying and paying for TWO services when the cell phones do everything (and they can call back right away and start giving instructions for care to be given to the patient until they arrive). However, they also know how to use their vibrate feature, and since the call isn't usually something that an entire theater should be listening in on anyway, they will step outside for the conversation. If they're on call, they aren't very likely to be heading to the theater anyway (that's almost a guarantee they'll get a call for an emergency, and not get to see the full movie), but if they do, you certainly don't want to be blocking them from getting their messages.

Talking on the cell phone in the theater is the same as talking to someone else in the theater, and can be handled the same way...hire ushers who do their job and ask people to be quiet or to leave if they continue talking during the movie.

Moonbear said:
The thing with M.D.s on-call, though, is that they already have to carry cell-phones, and generally aren't issued pagers anymore anyway (they receive pages to their cell phones). No point carrying and paying for TWO services when the cell phones do everything (and they can call back right away and start giving instructions for care to be given to the patient until they arrive). However, they also know how to use their vibrate feature, and since the call isn't usually something that an entire theater should be listening in on anyway, they will step outside for the conversation. If they're on call, they aren't very likely to be heading to the theater anyway (that's almost a guarantee they'll get a call for an emergency, and not get to see the full movie), but if they do, you certainly don't want to be blocking them from getting their messages.

Talking on the cell phone in the theater is the same as talking to someone else in the theater, and can be handled the same way...hire ushers who do their job and ask people to be quiet or to leave if they continue talking during the movie.

How bad is the talking in theatres? I don't even see ushers around here. I've been to every theatre in my region (Niagara) as well as one outside. I've seen an usher only once, but I believe it was because some mother's son when in the wrong theatre and he was looking for him. I have never seen an usher in my hometown theatres.

Basically, you're all alone in the theatres with 100 people or something. Depends on the size and popularity of theatre and movie.

JasonRox said:
How bad is the talking in theatres? I don't even see ushers around here. I've been to every theatre in my region (Niagara) as well as one outside. I've seen an usher only once, but I believe it was because some mother's son when in the wrong theatre and he was looking for him. I have never seen an usher in my hometown theatres.

Basically, you're all alone in the theatres with 100 people or something. Depends on the size and popularity of theatre and movie.

That's a big part of the problem, you never even see an usher anymore. When I was a kid, every theater had an usher standing near the door, or periodically walking up and down the aisle, during every movie. If someone started having a disruptive conversation, or causing some other trouble, the usher was there pretty quickly.

Ooops... I just rechecked. The morons at Industry Canada changed the law in 2002.
They should get jammed...

Now if only there was a way to jam little kids

Related to Regal Theatres' Cellphone Jammer Plan: Legal and Feasible?

1. Is it legal for Regal Theatres to install cellphone jammers in their theaters?

The legality of cellphone jammers is a complex issue and varies by country and state. In the United States, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) prohibits the use of cellphone jammers by individuals or businesses, as it violates the Communications Act of 1934. However, there are some exceptions for law enforcement and government agencies.

2. How does the cellphone jammer plan work?

A cellphone jammer works by emitting radio frequency signals that disrupt the communication between a cellphone and its network. This effectively blocks all incoming and outgoing calls, texts, and internet access on the jammed devices within a certain radius.

3. Can cellphone jammers cause any harm to humans?

Cellphone jammers are generally considered safe for humans, as they emit low levels of radio frequency signals. However, prolonged exposure to these signals can potentially cause health issues such as headaches, dizziness, and nausea. It is important for Regal Theatres to follow proper safety regulations and guidelines when installing and using the jammers.

4. Will the cellphone jammer plan affect emergency calls?

Yes, the cellphone jammer plan will also block emergency calls, such as 911, within the jammed area. This is one of the main reasons why cellphone jammers are prohibited by the FCC, as it can potentially put people's lives at risk in case of emergencies. Regal Theatres should consider this factor when implementing their plan.

5. Is there an alternative solution to restricting cellphone use in theaters?

Yes, there are alternative solutions such as creating designated "cellphone-free" zones or implementing a strict no-cellphone policy. These options may be more feasible and legal than using cellphone jammers. Regal Theatres should consider these alternatives before moving forward with their plan.