Reduction of resultant Moment/Force

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the distance for a given resultant moment/force. The person has correctly calculated the resultant force but is getting an incorrect solution for the distance. They have used the formula d=M/F, but have not taken into account the vertical component only of the total force when calculating F. This results in a difference of 0.49 feet from the correct solution.
Saladsamurai
[SOLVED] Reduction of resultant Moment/Force

So I have calculated the resultant force correctly but my solution for distance is incorrect. I keep getting 6.08 ft but the correct solution is 6.57 feet from B.
Picture1-4.png

I found [itex]F_r=798.499[/itex] which is correct. Then I used,

[tex]\sum M_B=\frac{3}{5}(500)(9)+6(1200)+\frac{12}{13}(260)(4)=4860 lb\cdot ft[/tex]

Then [itex]d=\frac{M_r}{F_r}=6.09 ft[/itex] Where is my error?

Physics news on Phys.org
F_r is the total magnitude of the resulting force, yes. But in the formula d=M/F (where M is the torque, and d is distance from axis), you want the F to be component of the total force that exerts torque. That would be the vertical component only of the total force.

It seems like you have made a mistake in your calculation for the distance. Double check your formula and make sure you are using the correct values for the moment and force. It's possible that you may have mixed up the units or made a calculation error. Also, make sure you are using the correct sign convention for the moments. It's always a good idea to double check your work to catch any errors.

Related to Reduction of resultant Moment/Force

1. What is a resultant moment/force?

A resultant moment or force is the overall force or torque acting on an object. It is the sum of all the individual forces or torques acting on that object.

2. How do you calculate the resultant moment/force?

The resultant moment can be calculated by taking the sum of the individual moments acting on an object. The resultant force can be calculated by taking the sum of the individual forces acting on an object.

3. What is the significance of reducing the resultant moment/force?

Reducing the resultant moment/force is important because it can help prevent structural failure or damage to an object. It can also improve the stability and balance of the object.

4. How can the resultant moment/force be reduced?

The resultant moment/force can be reduced by using counterbalancing forces or moments, changing the position of the forces, or adding additional supports to the object.

5. What are some real-world applications of reducing resultant moment/force?

Reducing resultant moment/force is important in engineering and construction to ensure the safety and stability of structures. It is also important in designing vehicles, such as airplanes and cars, to ensure smooth and efficient operation. Additionally, reducing resultant moment/force is important in sports equipment, such as golf clubs and tennis rackets, to improve performance and prevent injury.