Recommended whiteboards for classroom/personal use?

• Thread starter Ron Tucker76
  • Start date
In summary, whiteboards are physical objects that are used for teaching, and they can be used in a variety of ways.
Ron Tucker76
Hello everyone, my name is Ron Tucker and I'm quite new to this forum. I have recently started up a website to help teach about different whiteboards that are currently available, but would like to expand my knowledge as I most definitely don't know everything.

Seeing as you all are men and women of science, I thought this would be a great place to ask.

I appreciated any and all feedback, thanks guys!

Science news on Phys.org
Are you talking about "whiteboards" as physical objects?

Or has "whiteboards" become some sort of educational jargon that refers to a lesson plan?

Ron Tucker76 said:
Hello everyone, my name is Ron Tucker and I'm quite new to this forum. I have recently started up a website to help teach about different whiteboards that are currently available, but would like to expand my knowledge as I most definitely don't know everything.

Seeing as you all are men and women of science, I thought this would be a great place to ask.

I appreciated any and all feedback, thanks guys!

Not sure what you are asking- comparisons of different whiteboards? Inexpensive versions of whiteboards?

Stephen Tashi said:
Are you talking about "whiteboards" as physical objects?

Or has "whiteboards" become some sort of educational jargon that refers to a lesson plan?

Whiteboards, at least the way I use the term, refer to versions of blackboards that use dry erase markers instead of chalk. They are especially common in labs that can't tolerate chalk dust.

Note to self: if the next post in the thread links to a site with examples of what the OP meant, ban the spammer.

A "whiteboard" is a free-form writing/drawing applications, often used in video conferencing. It allows for a quick hand sketch or drawing to be done live and be seen by all participants in such a conference.

It is also used for online or blended classes. It allows for an instructor or student to do a quick sketch during such a session.

For me, the use of a whiteboard for such online classes is a bit tedious if one doesn't have a touch-screen computer. Drawing something with a mouse is awful, and don't get me started on trying to write a math equation using that.

Instead, what I have done is pair up my computer with my iPad, and use an app that allows me to display what ever I'm writing free-form on my iPad projected onto my computer screen. If I am "sharing" my computer screen with all the participants, then they will see whatever I wrote live.

Zz.

I point the camera at the physical dry erase white board in my office. Have one in my lab also.

Dr. Courtney said:
I point the camera at the physical dry erase white board in my office. Have one in my lab also.

I can use my whiteboard to present lessons while dressed in my PJs at home.

Hope none of my students are reading this.

Zz.

Likes Dr. Courtney and Andy Resnick

Related to Recommended whiteboards for classroom/personal use?

1. What are the benefits of using a whiteboard in the classroom/personal use?

Using a whiteboard allows for visual aids and interactive learning. It also helps with organization and brainstorming, as well as being easily erasable for multiple uses.

2. What type of whiteboard is best for classroom/personal use?

The best type of whiteboard for classroom/personal use depends on personal preference and budget. Some popular options include traditional dry-erase whiteboards, glass whiteboards, and interactive whiteboards.

3. What size whiteboard should I get for my classroom/personal use?

The size of whiteboard needed depends on the intended use. For personal use, a smaller whiteboard may suffice. However, for larger classrooms, a larger whiteboard may be necessary to ensure all students can see and participate in the activities.

4. Are there any features I should look for in a whiteboard for classroom/personal use?

Some features to consider when choosing a whiteboard include durability, erasability, and compatibility with different types of markers. For interactive whiteboards, features such as touch screen capabilities and internet connectivity may also be important.

5. How do I properly maintain and clean my whiteboard?

To maintain and clean your whiteboard, use a soft, dry cloth to remove any dry-erase markers. For tougher stains, use a whiteboard cleaner or a solution of water and vinegar. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as they can damage the surface of the whiteboard.