Reciprocity theorem and LTI systems

In summary, the reciprocity theorem for resistor networks states that the relationship between an oscillating current and the resulting electric field is unchanged if one interchanges the points where the current is placed and where the field is measured.
sokrates
I am looking for good, theoretical references on the reciprocity theorem for resistor networks.

I am trying to find out how general the theorem is and whether it is only limited to LTI systems.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions...

Engineering news on Phys.org
What's the reciprocity theorem for resistor networks?

For instance:

http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/tech/reciproc.htm

I am trying to find out how general the theorem is and whether it is only limited to LTI systems.

here is a small wiki reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocity_(electromagnetism)

The general theorem is the Lorentz reciprocity which can be simplified to a linear system by making some assumptions.

Last edited:
What is this theorem used for? What is it's advantage over a standard solution/simulation of the circuit? I wasn't able to figure that out from a quick read of sokrates' link

http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/tech/reciproc.htm

Basically, you can derive a two-port network directly from Maxwell's equations.

1. Start with Maxwell's equations.

2. That leads to Lorentz reciprocity theorem:

the relationship between an oscillating current and the resulting electric field is unchanged if one interchanges the points where the current is placed and where the field is measured (wiki).

3. Make linear approximation

4. And we get the reciprocity theorem which is a simplified version for linear systems only.

5. Using the theorem one can derive two-port network parameters.

Here is another more in depth reference:
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/RADLAB/html/techreports/RL871.pdfAnother application of the theorem is in antenna design. One can prove that a radiation pattern for a transmitting antenna is the same as it would be receiving.

Hi, waht.

Thank you for your insights and references. I am more interested in the resistor network version of the theorem...

Is this the simplifed version? Or would it hold even if my network is not Linear-Time Invariant?These are all good, but I don't need the Maxwell treatment.

Sorry for the Maxwellian blast, but just trying to illustrate that the reciprocity theorem for resistor networks is just a linear case of a more general theorem, which is non-linear. Reciprocity for resistor networks is time-invariant also.

Related to Reciprocity theorem and LTI systems

1. What is the Reciprocity theorem?

The Reciprocity theorem states that the input and output signals of a linear time-invariant (LTI) system can be interchanged without changing the overall response of the system. This means that the output of the system for an input signal x(t) is the same as the output of the system for an input signal y(t), where y(t) is the output of the system when x(t) is the input. In simple terms, the response of the system is the same regardless of the direction of the input signal.

2. How is the Reciprocity theorem used in LTI systems?

The Reciprocity theorem is a fundamental concept in the analysis of LTI systems. It allows us to simplify the analysis of a system by interchanging the input and output signals. This is particularly useful in situations where it is easier to measure the output of a system rather than the input. The theorem also helps in understanding the symmetry and balance of a system's response.

3. What are the conditions for the Reciprocity theorem to hold?

The Reciprocity theorem holds true for linear time-invariant systems, where the system is both linear and time-invariant. A system is linear if it satisfies the properties of superposition and homogeneity. A system is time-invariant if its response is not affected by a time shift in the input signal. Additionally, the Reciprocity theorem only applies to systems that are causal, meaning that the output depends only on the present and past values of the input signal.

4. Can the Reciprocity theorem be applied to non-linear systems?

No, the Reciprocity theorem only applies to linear systems. Non-linear systems do not satisfy the properties of superposition and homogeneity, which are essential for the theorem to hold. In non-linear systems, the response is not proportional to the input, and the output may change with a change in the input signal.

5. How is the Reciprocity theorem related to the Convolution theorem?

The Convolution theorem states that the output of a system is the convolution of the input with the impulse response of the system. The Reciprocity theorem can be seen as a special case of the Convolution theorem, where the impulse response is the same as the input signal. In other words, the Convolution theorem is a generalized version of the Reciprocity theorem.