Real Vector Space: Is Addition & Scalar Multiplication Smooth?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a real vector space, equipped with a topology and smooth structure, being a smooth manifold of dimension n that is not diffeomorphic or homeomorphic to ##\mathbb R^n##. The question is whether this implies that addition and scalar multiplication are also smooth. A counterexample is considered, but it is argued that any real vector space of dimension n<infinity is necessarily isomorphic to ##\mathbb R^n##. The discussion then shifts to the possibility of using group theory to find an example of a vector space that is not diffeomorphic to ##\mathbb R^n##. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the suggestion of using the exotic ##\mathbb R^4##
Geometry_dude
Let ##V## be a real vector space and assume that ##V## (together with a topology and smooth structure) is also a smooth manifold of dimension ##n## with ##0 < n < \infty##, not necessarily diffeomorphic or even homeomorphic to ##\mathbb R^n##.

Here's my question: Does this imply that addition and scalar multiplication is smooth?

I tried to find a counterexample and thought about exotic ##\mathbb R^4##, but my knowledge about that is quite limited.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any real vector space of dimension n<infinity is necessarily isomorphic to R^n, as vector spaces. I think the manifold you're trying to imagine is necessarily diffeomorphic to R^n.

That there is a vector space isomorphism to ##\mathbb R^n## is not disputed, yet this does not necessarily mean that it is a homeomorphism or diffeomorphism when we consider ##\mathbb R^n## with the standard smooth structure and topology.

EDIT: Maybe group theory holds the answer?

Alright then, let's assume I am wrong: offer me an example of a vector space endowed with a topology (what type ?) and a smooth structure that is not diffeomorphic to R^n with the usual topology and differential structure.

Related to Real Vector Space: Is Addition & Scalar Multiplication Smooth?

1. What is a real vector space?

A real vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements (vectors) that can be added together and multiplied by real numbers (scalars). It follows certain axioms and properties, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication, to define a linear space.

2. What does it mean for addition to be smooth in a real vector space?

Smooth addition in a real vector space means that the operation of adding two vectors produces another vector that belongs to the same vector space. This property is also known as closure under addition.

3. How is scalar multiplication defined in a real vector space?

In a real vector space, scalar multiplication refers to the operation of multiplying a vector by a real number (scalar). This operation results in a new vector that is parallel to the original vector but may have a different magnitude.

4. What are the consequences of smooth addition and scalar multiplication in a real vector space?

The consequences of smooth addition and scalar multiplication in a real vector space include the ability to perform various operations, such as linear combinations and vector transformations. These properties also allow for the use of calculus and other mathematical tools to solve problems in the vector space.

5. Can a vector space have more than one type of scalar?

Yes, a vector space can have more than one type of scalar. For example, complex numbers can also be used as scalars in a real vector space, resulting in a complex vector space. However, the addition and scalar multiplication operations in the vector space must still follow the same axioms and properties.