Ranking Rotational Inertia Task

In summary, the conversation was about ranking four structures based on their rotational inertias. The participants discussed the importance of considering the mass distribution and distance from the axis of rotation. They also mentioned the use of the parallel axis theorem to compare inertias about different axes. Ultimately, they concluded that the correct ranking was b>a>d>c.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I'm given the following four structures with their rotational axes marked, I have to rank them from largest to smallest rotational inertias, I have trouble with that apparently.
QBxEISS.png

Homework Equations

No equations are really necessary, just my book says the more mass there is on one side of the rotation axis, the higher the rotational inertia.

The Attempt at a Solution

I gave the following four answers
a>b>d=c (Before I read the chapter, just using intuition)
a>b>d>c
a>b>c>d (again before I read the chapter, at this point I realized I was completely off)
c=d>b>a (I said c and d are equal because the mass they both separate is about equal, and b is greater than a because it seems it would be "harder" to rotate about that axis then a, a would rotate freely, b would have a bit of trouble, c and d would balance)

Am I thinking about this all wrong (yes)?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can compare a with c and b with d easily by using the parallel axis theorem (but it should also be reasonably intuitive). Comparing a with b and c with d is somewhat harder. I don't find it intuitively obvious. One trick you can use is to cancel out equivalent contributors. E.g., the horizontal member of b cancels one vertical member of a.

It is not a matter of how much is on each side, it is a matter of how far away from the axis of rotation the mass is. Haruspex' suggestion of cancelling equivalent contributions is a good one (I assume all bars are to be considered as having the same length and mass).

Orodruin said:
It is not a matter of how much is on each side, it is a matter of how far away from the axis of rotation the mass is. Haruspex' suggestion of cancelling equivalent contributions is a good one (I assume all bars are to be considered as having the same length and mass).
Yeah I read my professor's lecture notes for today (these exercises are prelecture so he knows where we stand, but they're graded on accuracy so I try to get right) and my task here made more sense. I got b>a>d>c, which I think is right. However I do not know the parallel axis theorem, or I have never given it a name. What is that?

B3NR4Y said:
Yeah I read my professor's lecture notes for today (these exercises are prelecture so he knows where we stand, but they're graded on accuracy so I try to get right) and my task here made more sense. I got b>a>d>c, which I think is right. However I do not know the parallel axis theorem, or I have never given it a name. What is that?
Yes, I get that answer too.
For present purposes, the parallel axis theorem tells you that the moment of inertia about an axis through the mass centre (as in c and d) is less than about any other axis parallel to it. This tells you a > c and b > d. It remains to compare a and d. For those, you can cancel the horizontal of d with the two lower halves of the verticals in a, and the horizontal of a with one vertical of d. For what's left, it should be evident that a > d.

Related to Ranking Rotational Inertia Task

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is dependent on an object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

2. How is rotational inertia measured?

Rotational inertia is typically measured by performing experiments or calculations that involve the object's mass, shape, and distance from the axis of rotation. The unit of measurement for rotational inertia is kilogram-meter squared (kg·m²).

3. What is the purpose of a "Ranking Rotational Inertia Task"?

A "Ranking Rotational Inertia Task" is designed to help students understand the concept of rotational inertia by comparing the rotational inertia of different objects. It also helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills related to rotational motion.

4. What factors affect an object's rotational inertia?

An object's rotational inertia is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. Objects with a greater mass, larger radius, and more concentrated mass distribution have a higher rotational inertia.

5. How does rotational inertia relate to everyday life?

Rotational inertia is present in many everyday activities, such as swinging a bat, riding a bike, or throwing a frisbee. Understanding rotational inertia can help us make predictions and improve our performance in these activities.