Radius of convergence of power series

In summary, the power series converges to a function that lies within the interval ##[-\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}]##.
Alcubierre

Homework Statement

The coefficients of the power series [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{∞}[/itex][itex]a_{n}(x-2)^{n}[/itex] satisfy [itex]a_{0} = 5[/itex] and [itex]a_{n} = (\frac{2n+1}{3n-1})a_{n-1}[/itex] for all [itex] n ≥ 1 [/itex]. The radius of convergence of the series is:
(a) 0
(b) [itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex]
(c) [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex]
(d) 2
(e) infinite

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]lim_{n\rightarrow ∞}|\frac{a_{n+1}(x-2)^{n}}{a_{n}(x-2)^{n}}|[/itex]

[itex]|x-2|lim_{n\rightarrow ∞} |\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}|[/itex]

To find the function inside the limit, I used the definition presented in the problem:

[itex]a_{n} = (\frac{2n+1}{3n-1})a_{n}[/itex]

Added n + 1 and divided the [itex]a_{n}[/itex] from the RHS which yields,

[itex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}} = \frac{2n+3}{3n+2} [/itex]

and substituted that into the limit, and took the limit:

[itex]\frac{2}{3}|x-2| < 1[/itex]

[itex]2|x-2| < 3[/itex]

[itex] 2[-(x-2)] < 1\; and\; 2(x-2) < 2 [/itex]

And that gives the interval,

[itex] x > \frac{1}{2}\; and\; x < \frac{7}{2} [/itex]

which means the radius is 2, but the correct answer is letter c, [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex].

What am I doing wrong? Was my approach in the right direction?
I solved this before and I used the rationale that the radius of convergence is the reciprocal of the limit of the interval, but my teacher said that wasn't correct and it was "one of those special cases that it works out that way."

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alcubierre said:

Homework Statement

The coefficients of the power series [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{∞}[/itex][itex]a_{n}(x-2)^{n}[/itex] satisfy [itex]a_{0}[/itex] for all [itex]n\geq 1[/itex].

They satisfy what?!

My apologies.

It should say, it satisfies [itex]a_{0} = 5[/itex] and [itex]a_{n} = \frac{2n+1}{3n-1}[/itex] for all [itex] n ≥ 1 [/itex].

Last edited:
Alcubierre said:
Added n + 1 and divided the [itex]a_{n}[/itex] from the RHS which yields,

[itex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}} = \frac{2n+3}{3n+2} [/itex]

and substituted that into the limit, and took the limit:

Alcubierre said:
My apologies.

It should say, it satisfies [itex]a_{0} = 5[/itex] and [itex]a_{n} = \frac{2n+1}{3n-1}[/itex] for all [itex] n ≥ 1 [/itex].

That isn't what you used in your solution and it won't give the correct answer. I think you still have something typed wrong.

The coefficients of the power series [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{∞}[/itex][itex]a_{n}(x-2)^{n}[/itex] satisfy [itex]a_{0} = 5[/itex] and [itex]a_{n} = (\frac{2n+1}{3n-1})a_{n-1}[/itex] for all [itex] n ≥ 1 [/itex]

Sigh, it's been a long day.

Alcubierre said:
The coefficients of the power series [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{∞}[/itex][itex]a_{n}(x-2)^{n}[/itex] satisfy [itex]a_{0} = 5[/itex] and [itex]a_{n} = (\frac{2n+1}{3n-1})a_{n-1}[/itex] for all [itex] n ≥ 1 [/itex]

Sigh, it's been a long day.

OK. Then your work is OK at ##\frac 2 3 |x-2|<1## or ##|x-2|<\frac 3 2##. That says the distance from ##x## to ##2## is less than ##\frac 3 2##. Since ##x=2## is the center of the expansion ##r = \frac 3 2##.

Oh wow I completely disregarded the fact that it's centered at x = 2! Thank you very much

Related to Radius of convergence of power series

What is the radius of convergence of a power series?

The radius of convergence of a power series is a measure of the distance from the center of the series to the point where the series converges. It determines the set of values for which the series will converge.

How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence can be calculated using the ratio test, where the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series is taken as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, the series will converge, and the radius of convergence can be found by taking the reciprocal of this limit.

What does it mean if the radius of convergence is infinite?

If the radius of convergence is infinite, it means that the series converges for all values of the variable. This is often the case for polynomials, where the series will converge for all real values of the variable x.

Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence must always be a positive value. This is because it represents a distance and cannot be negative. If a series has a negative radius of convergence, it means that the series does not converge for any values of the variable.

What happens if the value of the variable is outside the radius of convergence?

If the value of the variable is outside the radius of convergence, the series will not necessarily converge or diverge. In this case, the behavior of the series must be determined by considering the specific values of the variable. This is known as the boundary behavior of the series.