Radiation and gas concentration

In summary, the conversation discusses the interaction between radiation and gas, specifically the relationship between PPM and flux of the radiation. The question also pertains to atmospheric radiative transfer and the role of excited molecules in emitting photons. Several studies and references are mentioned, including books and papers on the subject. The conversation also touches on the topic of climate change and the role of CO2 in the atmosphere.
atlstroke
Does anyone know of any papers describing the interaction between radiation and gas. Specifically I am trying to find out is the relationship between PPM and the flux of the radiation. At what point do the two intersect to give a measurable response and does the interaction increase linearly.

Please use common courtesy in responding.

Science news on Phys.org
Is this question with regard to absorption of radiation and attenuation of the photon flux by molecules of a gas?

Chet

Chet, if I understand flux correctly it is a measure of photons present in a cross section at a given time. If it is a surface then of course the photons are coming form one side. My question pertains to a circle suspended parallel to the surface. In this case I am viewing flux as a total measure of photons coming from above and below.

So in this circle, in the atmosphere is the amount of IR fully represented by the non filtered radiation coming directly from the sun plus the IR reflected/reemitted from the ground. If these two sources do not account for the total amount of IR present, what amount is coming from excited molecules in the atmosphere emitting photons.

Do you know of any studies that looked at this to determine what portion is represented by the amount emitted by atmospheric molecules? Would also be interested in seeing if the wavelength coming from the emissions of the excited atmospheric gasses gives enough of a finger print to identify what type of molecule is responsible for the secondary emission.

thanks

You're asking about atmospheric radiative transfer. Entire books have been written on this subject.

Here are a couple:
Wendisch and Yang, Theory of Atmospheric Radiative Transfer
Thomas and Stamnes, Radiative Transfer in the Atmosphere and Ocean

Here's a recent thread on this forum on a physics homework problem regarding a space probe covered by a thermal shied, with vacuum between the probe and the shield: [thread]752942[/thread]. This problem captures the basic idea of how adding additional layers (and by analogy, adding more CO2 to the atmosphere) can increase temperature.

atlstroke said:
Chet, if I understand flux correctly it is a measure of photons present in a cross section at a given time. If it is a surface then of course the photons are coming form one side. My question pertains to a circle suspended parallel to the surface. In this case I am viewing flux as a total measure of photons coming from above and below.

So in this circle, in the atmosphere is the amount of IR fully represented by the non filtered radiation coming directly from the sun plus the IR reflected/reemitted from the ground. If these two sources do not account for the total amount of IR present, what amount is coming from excited molecules in the atmosphere emitting photons.

Do you know of any studies that looked at this to determine what portion is represented by the amount emitted by atmospheric molecules? Would also be interested in seeing if the wavelength coming from the emissions of the excited atmospheric gasses gives enough of a finger print to identify what type of molecule is responsible for the secondary emission.

thanks
Here are a couple of references to papers I co-authored that show how there types of calculations are carried out:

Owens, A.J., Hales, C.H., Filkin, D.L., Miller, C., Steed, J.M., and Jesson, J.P., A Coupled One-Dimensional Radiative-Convective, Chemistry-Transport Model of the Atmosphere, 1. Model Structure and Steady State Perturbation Calculations, J. Geophys. Res., 90, D1, 2283-2311, (1985)

Miller, C., Meakin, P., Franks, R.G.E., and Jesson, J.P., The Fluorocarbon-Ozone Theory – V. One Dimensional Modeling of the Atmosphere: The Base Case, Atmospheric Environment, 12, 2481-2500 (1978)

Much of the radiative data for these models came from NASA publications: Solar photon flux vs wavelength, absorption cross sections of molecules vs wavelength, scattering cross sections of air, etc.

Chet

Thanks Chet, that is a huge help. As someone whose background is in medicine I am at a bit of a disadvantage when debating physics with a doctorate in quantum chemistry. Its always so odd hearing an extremely well educated man defending the topic Which Can Not Be Named. At least he isn't a vaccine denier ;)

Related to Radiation and gas concentration

1. What is radiation?

Radiation is the transfer of energy in the form of waves or particles. It can come from natural sources, such as the sun, or from human-made sources, such as X-rays or nuclear power plants.

2. How does radiation affect the environment?

Radiation can have both positive and negative effects on the environment. In small doses, it can be beneficial for things like plant growth and medical treatments. However, high levels of radiation can be harmful to living organisms and can cause damage to ecosystems.

3. What is gas concentration?

Gas concentration refers to the amount of a gas present in a given volume of air. It is usually measured in parts per million (ppm) or parts per billion (ppb). Gas concentration is important to monitor as high levels of certain gases can be harmful to human health and the environment.

4. How does gas concentration affect air quality?

Gas concentration plays a significant role in determining the quality of air. High levels of pollutants, such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, and ozone, can lead to poor air quality and can have negative health effects on humans and animals. Monitoring and controlling gas concentration is crucial for maintaining good air quality.

5. What are the sources of gas concentration in the atmosphere?

The main sources of gas concentration in the atmosphere are natural processes, such as volcanic eruptions and wildfires, and human activities, such as industrial processes, transportation, and energy production. These sources release gases into the air, which can accumulate and affect the overall gas concentration levels in the atmosphere.