Quick Resultant Forces Question

In summary, the conversation is about finding the x,y coordinates for a given angle and using them in an equation. The person has successfully done this for 30* and 180*, but struggles with 250* as it is not on the radian circle. They ask for help in finding the coordinates and it is suggested to use a calculator or the formula for solving cubics.
Pablo1122

Homework Statement

s7rMLoN.png

So we have 65N @ 30*, 30N @ 180* and 20N at 250*

Homework Equations

Ncos(angle)i + Nsin(angle)j

The Attempt at a Solution

Using this video

I did the following.

F1(65N) = 65cos(30)i+65sin30i

Then using the radian circle I saw that 30* has x,y coordinates of sqrt3/2 and 1/2 respectively. So as shown in the video I did

65(root3/2)i+65(1/2)j

= 56.3i + 32.5j

I did this for the left one too (30N).

But for the one at the bottom (20N) I get the degree of it to be 250. (270-20) = 250.

250* is not on the radian circle so how can I write 250* in terms of x,y coordinates?
circle-unit-304560.gif

If we look at this radian circle. We see that 240* = (-1/2, -sqrt3/2) and then it goes to 270* = (0,-1). How can I find the x,y coordinates for 250* and use it in the equation?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pablo1122 said:
How can I find the x,y coordinates for 250* and use it in the equation?
I don't believe that trig functions of that particular angle can be simply expressed. (Like the others can.) You'll need a calculator.

Doc Al said:
I don't believe that trig functions of that particular angle can be simply expressed. (Like the others can.) You'll need a calculator.

Ah yes, I just found this out. Thanks!

Doc Al said:
If it's a matter of expressing it in surds, you can use the usual expansion of sin(3x), with x=20o, and apply the formula for solving cubics.

Related to Quick Resultant Forces Question

1. What is a Quick Resultant Forces Question?

A Quick Resultant Forces Question is a problem-solving exercise that requires the use of Newton's laws of motion to determine the overall force acting on an object or system.

2. How do I approach a Quick Resultant Forces Question?

The first step is to identify all the forces acting on the object or system. Then, use vector addition to find the resultant force. Finally, use Newton's laws to solve for the unknown variables.

3. Can I use any units when solving a Quick Resultant Forces Question?

Yes, as long as the units are consistent. It is recommended to use standard units such as meters, kilograms, and seconds to avoid confusion.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a Quick Resultant Forces Question?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to account for all the forces acting on the object, using incorrect units, and misinterpreting the direction of the forces. It is important to double-check all calculations and diagrams to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to solve Quick Resultant Forces Questions?

While there are no shortcuts, it is helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and use diagrams to visualize the forces. Also, practicing and familiarizing oneself with the concepts and equations can lead to faster problem-solving.