Quick question, i think, link to problem included

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Link
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the charge density in a problem involving an inner charged cylinder and an outer neutral shell. The question concerns why the radius for calculating the charge density is the radius of the outer sphere instead of just the charged cylinder. The answer is that although the net charge of the outer shell is zero, there are charges on its surfaces which contribute to the surface charge density. A helpful answer is provided by ehild.
pyroknife

Homework Statement

http://www.physics.wisc.edu/undergrads/courses/spring09/248/HWSolutions/HW6Solutions.pdf

My question regards to part b of the problem on the 1st page.

Why is the radius to get the charge density the radius of the outer sphere and not just the radius of the cylinder that's actually charged? Like when the radius is more than the radius of the inner cylinder, that means there's no charge right so shouldn't the maximum radius be 1.5cm in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Although the net charge of the outer shell is zero, there are charges on its surfaces, negative on the inner surface and positive on the outer one. The surface charge density is equal to ε0E (E is the magnitude of electric field at the surface).

ehild

Related to Quick question, i think, link to problem included

1. What is the problem you are trying to solve?

The problem I am trying to solve is [insert problem here]. This could be a technical issue, a research question, or a hypothesis that needs testing.

2. Can you provide more context or background information?

Sure! In order to fully understand the problem, it is important to provide context and background information. This could include previous research, relevant data, or any other information that may be helpful in understanding the problem at hand.

3. What steps have you taken to try and solve the problem?

I have [insert steps taken here]. This could include conducting experiments, researching potential solutions, consulting with colleagues, or any other actions that have been taken in an attempt to solve the problem.

4. Have you considered any potential limitations or confounding factors?

Yes, it is important to consider any potential limitations or confounding factors that may affect the problem or its solution. This could include variables that were not accounted for, biases, or other external factors that may impact the results.

5. What are your proposed next steps?

Based on the information gathered so far, my proposed next steps are [insert next steps here]. This could include further research, adjusting experimental methods, or seeking input from other experts in the field.