Question that I simply can't figure out and

• Thread starter msilva731
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
What would you say are the forces acting upon your block? In summary, there is a wedge with an inclination of angle theta next to a wall and a block of mass m sliding down the plane with no friction between the wedge and the block or between the wedge and the horizontal surface. The magnitude of the sum of all forces acting on the block is mgsin(theta). The magnitude of the force that the wall exerts on the wedge, F_ww, can be expressed in terms of theta and m, along with any necessary constants.
msilva731
A wedge with an inclination of angle theta rests next to a wall. A block of mass m is sliding down the plane, as shown. There is no friction between the wedge and the block or between the wedge and the horizontal surface.

1) Find the magnitude, F_net, of the sum of all forces acting on the block.

Which I found to be mgsin(theta) and is the correct answer

2) Find the magnitude, F_ww, of the force that the wall exerts on the wedge. Express F_ww in terms of theta and m, along with any necessary constants.

This second part is the part I am having trouble with

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
msilva731 said:
2) Find the magnitude, F_ww, of the force that the wall exerts on the wedge. Express F_ww in terms of theta and m, along with any necessary constants.
Welcome to PF msilva,

How do you think that this problem should be approached. Which concepts are applicable?

P.S. For future reference, we have homework forums for such problems.

Hey msilva, why don't you start by drawing up the problem, then try to imagine the forces acting upon your block.

Related to Question that I simply can't figure out and

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

There are several ways to improve your problem-solving skills, such as practicing regularly, breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, and seeking feedback from others. Additionally, being open-minded and willing to try new approaches can also help in developing effective problem-solving techniques.

2. What should I do when I'm stuck on a problem?

When you're stuck on a problem, it's important to take a step back and assess the situation. Try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking help from others. It's also helpful to take breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.

3. How can I become a more critical thinker?

To become a more critical thinker, you can practice evaluating information objectively, questioning assumptions and biases, and considering multiple perspectives. It's also important to gather and analyze evidence before making decisions or forming opinions.

4. What is the difference between analytical and creative thinking?

Analytical thinking involves breaking down complex problems into smaller parts and using logic and reasoning to solve them. Creative thinking, on the other hand, involves generating new and innovative ideas to solve problems or approach situations. Both types of thinking are valuable and can be used in combination to effectively solve problems.

5. How can I apply critical thinking in my daily life?

Critical thinking can be applied in various aspects of daily life, such as decision-making, problem-solving, and evaluating information. You can practice critical thinking by asking questions, considering different perspectives, and gathering evidence before making decisions. It can also be helpful to reflect on your thoughts and actions to identify any biases or assumptions that may be affecting your thinking process.