Question on delta-v and escape velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of escape velocity as the delta-v in the ideal rocket equation to calculate the mass ratio needed for a trip to the moon or Mars. It also mentions the use of the law of conservation of energy and the inclusion of main engines and boosters in calculating the equivalent nozzle exit velocity.
shizz
I apologise if this isn't the right place to post this.

If I was to calculate the escape velocity of a body, e.g. the Earth which is approx. 11.2km/s, could this then be used as the delta-v in the ideal rocket equation to calculate the mass ratio needed?

This would be for both a trip to the moon and to Mars so it's not just LEO. That's why I presume the escape velocity is the delta-v in this case?

Also, If this was so and I could use it, for the equivalent nozzle exit velocity, would I have to add up the main engine and any boosters?

Thanks in advance

Astronomy news on Phys.org
To derive the escape velocity of any object, remember to apply the law of conservation of energy.On your latter part of the post , I am not sure of the ideal rocket equation.

Related to Question on delta-v and escape velocity?

1. What is delta-v and how is it related to escape velocity?

Delta-v is a measure of the change in velocity required for a spacecraft to move from one orbit to another. It is related to escape velocity because in order for a spacecraft to escape the gravitational pull of a planet or other celestial body, it needs to reach a certain delta-v value.

2. How is delta-v calculated?

Delta-v is calculated by taking into account the initial and final velocities, as well as the gravitational pull of the celestial body. It is also affected by the mass and thrust of the spacecraft.

3. What is the difference between delta-v and specific impulse?

Delta-v measures the change in velocity, while specific impulse measures the efficiency of a rocket engine. Specific impulse is a measure of how much thrust is produced by a certain amount of propellant, and it is used to calculate the required amount of propellant for a given delta-v.

4. How does the escape velocity of different planets compare?

The escape velocity of a planet is dependent on its mass and radius. Generally, the larger and more massive a planet is, the higher its escape velocity will be. For example, the escape velocity of Earth is around 11.2 km/s, while the escape velocity of Jupiter is around 59.5 km/s.

5. Can delta-v be decreased or eliminated?

In theory, delta-v can be decreased or eliminated by using gravitational assists or other techniques in spaceflight. However, in order to completely eliminate delta-v and achieve infinite speed, an infinite amount of energy would be required, which is not currently possible with our current technology.