Question involving Levi-Civita symbol

In summary, the given equation states that the double differentiation of a constant vector field is equal to zero. This is because the Levi-Civita tensor, which is anti-symmetric on the indices i,j, results in the equation being equal to minus itself, making it equal to zero.
sunnyskies
Can someone please explain to me why

[itex]\epsilon_{ijk}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\frac{\partial A_k}{\partial x_j} = 0[/itex]

where A is a constant vector field.

Physics news on Phys.org
The double differentiation w.r.t the coordinates is symmetric: $$\frac{\partial}{\partial x_j}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_j}$$

On the other hand, the Levi-Civita tensor is anti-symmetric on i,j. Interchange these indices and you therefore get: $$\epsilon_{ijk}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_j}=-\epsilon_{jik}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_j}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}=-\epsilon_{ijk}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_j}$$
where in the second equality we have renamed the dummy indices (they are summed over) i to j and j to i.
So we get that something is equal to minus itself, and thus is zero.

Makes perfect sense, thank you!

Related to Question involving Levi-Civita symbol

1. What is the Levi-Civita symbol?

The Levi-Civita symbol, also known as the permutation symbol or the epsilon symbol, is a mathematical symbol used to represent the sign of a permutation of a set of numbers. It is commonly used in vector calculus and differential geometry.

2. How is the Levi-Civita symbol defined?

The Levi-Civita symbol is defined as a tensor of rank 1 that takes on the values of either +1, -1, or 0, depending on the permutation of its indices. It is defined as +1 when the indices are in an even permutation, -1 when they are in an odd permutation, and 0 when any indices are repeated.

3. What are the properties of the Levi-Civita symbol?

Some of the key properties of the Levi-Civita symbol include: it is antisymmetric, meaning that swapping two indices changes the sign of the symbol; it is invariant under coordinate transformations; and it is a pseudo-tensor, meaning it transforms like a tensor under rotations but not under reflections.

4. How is the Levi-Civita symbol used in cross products?

In vector calculus, the Levi-Civita symbol is commonly used to define the cross product of two vectors. The magnitude of the cross product is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors times the sine of the angle between them. The direction of the cross product is given by the right-hand rule, which uses the Levi-Civita symbol to determine the sign of the resulting vector.

5. What is the relationship between the Levi-Civita symbol and determinants?

The Levi-Civita symbol is closely related to determinants, as it can be written in terms of the determinant of a matrix. In three dimensions, the Levi-Civita symbol is equal to the determinant of a 3x3 matrix with the corresponding indices as its elements. This relationship is useful in solving problems involving determinants and the Levi-Civita symbol.