Question about the Zeroth law of thermodynamics and Equlibrium

MatinSAR
TL;DR Summary
Question about zero law of thermodynamics and equilibrium
I know that if 2 systems A and B are in equilibrium their coordinates doesn't change. Systems are not complicated and be fully described using two separated coordinates X and Y.

What will happen if I seprate them using an adiabatic wall? Their coordinates start to change but I cannot understand why.

Science news on Phys.org
I don't understand your use of the word "coordinates" here. Can you expand?

Likes MatinSAR
DrClaude said:
I don't understand your use of the word "coordinates" here. Can you expand?
I've read about them in "Heat and Thermodynamics by M. W. Zemansky".
By coordinates I meant quantities that describe a state of a system like: Temperature, Pressure, Volume.

1700219549454.png

Edit : Adding a picture of the book.

Last edited:
Likes Dale
Interesting, I know these as 'state variables', not coordinates.

If you separate two systems that are at first in equilibrium, then their state may or may not drift away from each other. This depends entirely on the surroundings they are in. If there is a net flow of mass or energy over the surface by which you separate the system, then this energy or mass flow stops after the separation. This will then influence the state of both systems, and their respective states will likely drift away from each other.

Likes DrClaude and MatinSAR
Arjan82 said:
If you separate two systems that are at first in equilibrium, then their state may or may not drift away from each other. This depends entirely on the surroundings they are in.
I understand ... Thank you.