Question about the CMB and WMAP

• Thread starter Discman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cmb
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between temperature variations in the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) and the creation of structure in the universe. The WMAP picture is rescaled to magnify the variations, which are consistent with small non-uniformities in the early universe. Gravity causes these non-uniformities to grow over time and give rise to the structure we see today. The conversation also mentions the Illustris Project, which has videos depicting the growth of cosmic structure. There is also a question about the amplitude in relation to sound waves, but it is not clear how to answer it.
Discman
A very basic question that is stalking me for more than 20 years.

Every popular science cosmology book states:

A variation in temperature in the CMB of 1 part in 100.000, and then, from place to place or even from point to point.

And then the WMAP picture. Everywhere hot en cold spots many times greater than:from point to point.

Can anybody explain what is the relation? Or what is the flaw in my longtime thinking? Is 1 part in 100.000 not 1/100000 th (I doubt it)?

Space news on Phys.org
The WMAP picture is rescaled to magnify the variations so that you can see them. If it were shown with a non-magnified scale (say with the colors running from 0.0-3.0K), it would be a featureless smooth map, with all pixels the same color. Instead, the scale is centered around 2.74K and runs +/- 200-300 μK so that you can see the variations. Is this your question?

Thank you, much clearer.

Why do they say that the amplitude of the temperature variation (I suppose difference maximum-mean) has just the right size to create structure?

Discman said:
Thank you, much clearer.

Why do they say that the amplitude of the temperature variation (I suppose difference maximum-mean) has just the right size to create structure?

I wouldn't state it in that way. The very early universe had very small non-uniformities consistent with quantum fluctuations. In other words, the uncertainty principle does not allow the early universe to be perfectly uniform. Gravity causes these non-uniformities to grow with time. By the time of the emission of the CMB radiation (when the age of the universe was about 400,000 years), the non-uniformities had grown to about 1 part in 100,000, as you said. They then continued to grow to give rise to the structure that we see today. So instead of saying the the CMB non-uniformities were just the right size to create structure, I would say that the observed non-uniformities that we see in the CMB are consistent with the observed non-uniformities that we see in the large-scale structure of the universe today.

By the way, if you want to see some videos of the structure growth, try going to the Illustris Project and watching some of the video links. These are fascinating videos of simulations of the growth of cosmic structure.

Here is the link: http://www.illustris-project.org/

Last edited:
Thanks, I wil watch the video.
One more question about the amplitude. Sound waves have maximal compressions and maximal rarefactions. So are we speaking then about total amplitudes?

Discman said:
Thanks, I wil watch the video.
One more question about the amplitude. Sound waves have maximal compressions and maximal rarefactions. So are we speaking then about total amplitudes?

I don't know how to answer that. The amplitude can be specified in many different ways, such as some number (1,2,3,...) of standard deviations, FWHM, total deviation, etc. It would depend on which source you are referring to.

Related to Question about the CMB and WMAP

1. What is the CMB?

The CMB, or Cosmic Microwave Background, is a faint glow of light that permeates the entire universe. It is the oldest light in the universe, originating from just 380,000 years after the Big Bang. It is often referred to as the "afterglow" of the Big Bang.

2. How was the CMB discovered?

The CMB was discovered in 1964 by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson, two radio astronomers who were studying radio waves using a large antenna. They noticed a persistent noise that was coming from every direction in the sky, regardless of where they pointed their antenna. This noise turned out to be the CMB.

3. What is WMAP?

WMAP, or the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe, is a satellite launched by NASA in 2001 to study the CMB. It produced the most detailed map of the CMB to date, providing valuable insights into the early universe and its evolution.

4. What does the CMB tell us about the universe?

The CMB contains valuable information about the composition, age, and history of the universe. By studying the fluctuations in the CMB, scientists can learn about the distribution of matter and energy in the universe, as well as the processes that shaped it.

5. How does the CMB support the Big Bang theory?

The CMB is a crucial piece of evidence for the Big Bang theory. Its existence and characteristics, such as its uniformity and temperature, are consistent with the predictions of the theory. Additionally, the fluctuations in the CMB provide strong evidence for the concept of inflation, which is a key component of the Big Bang theory.