Question about choosing the right engineering major

In summary, the speaker is an engineering major at a community college in the US and is struggling to determine their discipline, specifically between electrical engineering and mechanical engineering. They have a strong background in mechanics and heat, but have also done well in electromagnetism. They are concerned about the job prospects in both fields and the potential for programming in electrical engineering. They also mention the possibility of needing extra time to fulfill general education requirements if they choose mechanical engineering. They seek advice from experienced engineers on how to choose a discipline and what factors to consider.
aesoph13442
Hi everyone!

I am an engineering major at a community college (cc) in US.
Right now I am having a hard time to determine my discipline. (be specific, EE or MechE)

First off, let me talk about my background.
I am originally from Hong Kong and I took the entire series of undergrad physics when I was there.
I will rank each of the sub-field in the following order based on my familiarity:
1) Mechanics 2) Heat 3) Electromagnetism 4) Wave, optics 5) Nuclear Physics
It doesn't mean I got bad grades on 3, 4 and 5. I just feel like I "love" 1 and 2 more than the rest of them.
I took my mechanics class about 5 years ago.
I still remember most of the concepts currently and I almost forgot everything in nuclear physics.
Besides that, I got As on lecture and lab for mechanics at cc but 2 Bs for electromagnetism classes.
Are they good signs which show that my brain leans toward mechanical engineering?

When I look at the job prospects, I feel like there are more jobs for EE.
However, according to many job descriptions on indeed.com and monster.com,
most of them are actually programming jobs.
There are relatively few "real" and "hands-on" entry level EE jobs available,
such as jobs in power, RF, computer hardware, control system, construction, manufacturing, etc.
It's just my conclusion based on my observation and little knowledge about EE. Maybe I am wrong.

I don't hate programming. However, I want to be experienced and knowledgeable
on hardware or circuits rather than programming.
Maybe I will get a programming job if I go for EE but I know it will only be temporary
and I certainly know that it will not be my terminal goal.
If I want to do programming, I could go for computer science degree or even go to boot camp.
What is the point of getting a EE degree then?

My thoughts I mentioned above obviously show that I put down EE quite a bit.
However, I don't hate my electromagnetic classes. Actually, I found some of the topics quite fascinating.
But my grades at cc and high school in Hong Kong show that maybe I am a little bit better at mechanics .
Anyways, it is just my thought.
Should it be an important factor to determine my major?
Besides, I feel like there are more jobs in construction and manufacturing for MechE, which
will be more relevant to what I learn in MechE program in my opinion.
Again, I might be wrong.

There is another big concern for me if I choose MechE.
If I go for MechE, I might not be able to fulfill the GE requirement at cc
because the MechE programs I aim at have more prereqs than the EE programs in general.
I might need an extra or two semesters to make up the GE after I transfer. Is it worth it?
If I go for EE, I will be able to finish everything and have extra time to work and get a little bit money.

I know a lot of members in this forum have worked in different engineering fields for many years.
I just want to know how you guys chose your engineering disciplines when you were at high school or junior college and what advice you would give me. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I was trying to figure out which field, I was given good advice by a professor. It works, and I repeat it often: "If you know you want to go into Engineering, but not sure what field, then go into ME because that is the broadest field. From ME, you can branch out to any field. The first two years of every Engineering course of study is almost identical. This provides time to explore the different subjects and determine what thrills you."

I went into ME but acquired a lot of EE skills over time to make me (IMHO) a successful mechatronics/robotics/industrial automation Manufacturing Engineer. Now I'm an Academic and teaching those skills to students.

Some more advice: if it "thrills" you, then I suggest it doesn't matter which direction your "brain leans" because if you wish to pursue the subject matter, then you will find the motivation to be successful.

Some more advice: don't confuse Community College with University.

Likes CivilSigma
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Related to Question about choosing the right engineering major

1. What factors should I consider when choosing an engineering major?

When deciding on an engineering major, there are several factors you should consider. These include your interests and strengths, potential career opportunities, job market demand, salary potential, and the curriculum of the program. It is important to choose a major that aligns with your passions and skills, as well as one that has a promising job outlook and offers a well-rounded education.

2. How do I know which engineering major is right for me?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the right engineering major for you will depend on your individual interests and goals. It is important to research and explore different engineering disciplines, talk to professionals in the field, and even take introductory courses to gain a better understanding of each major. Additionally, considering your strengths, values, and career aspirations can also help guide your decision.

3. What are the differences between the various engineering majors?

Each engineering major has its own unique curriculum and focuses on different areas of study. For example, mechanical engineering deals with designing and manufacturing machinery, while electrical engineering focuses on electricity and electronics. It is important to research and understand the specific areas of study and career paths associated with each engineering major to determine which aligns best with your interests and goals.

4. Is it better to choose a specialized or general engineering major?

This ultimately depends on your personal preferences and career goals. A specialized engineering major allows you to gain in-depth knowledge and skills in a specific area, which can make you more competitive for certain jobs. On the other hand, a general engineering major provides a broader education and may allow for more flexibility in career options. It is important to consider your interests and future career plans when deciding between a specialized or general engineering major.

5. Can I switch engineering majors if I change my mind?

Many universities allow students to switch engineering majors within the same school or college. However, this may require additional time and coursework to complete the new major's requirements. It is important to speak with an academic advisor or career counselor to discuss the process and potential implications of switching engineering majors.