Quantum thermodynamics of single particle

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of defining a temperature for a single particle or atom/molecule and how to model the exchange of energy between a single atom/molecule and a reservoir at a given temperature. It was mentioned that the temperature can be defined by taking the single-particle Hamiltonian into account and using the formula ρ=e−H/kT. The difference between this formula and another one mentioned by a forum member was also explained. The concept of mixed states and the applicability of the canonical ensemble in describing a single particle within a heat bath at a fixed temperature were also discussed.
Konte
Hello everybody,

I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to define a temperature for single particle (or atom or molecule)? If so, how?

2) How to model with quantum Hamiltonian an exchange of energy between a single atom (or molecule) and a reservoir at given temperature ##T## ?

Thank you everybody.

Konte

Physics news on Phys.org
Konte said:
1) Is it possible to define a temperature for single particle (or atom or molecule)? If so, how?
2) How to model with quantum Hamiltonian an exchange of energy between a single atom (or molecule) and a reservoir at given temperature TTT ?
What are your thoughts?

Bystander said:
What are your thoughts?
I don't understand your answer.

Konte said:
Yes, by taking
$$\rho=e^{-H/kT}$$
where ##H## is the single-particle Hamiltonian.

Likes Konte
Demystifier said:
Yes, by taking
$$\rho=e^{-H/kT}$$
where ##H## is the single-particle Hamiltonian.
Thank you for your answer.
I still have question:
- in this post https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...echanics-and-temperature.426455/#post-2869963, the forumer xerma mentioned a ##\rho = \frac{e^{-H/kT}}{Z}##. What is the difference between those two definitions of ##\rho## (that I suppose both density matrix operator) ?

Thank you very much.

The latter formula is correct. The statistical operator must be of trace ##1##. Thus the statistical operator of the canonical ensemble is
$$\hat{\rho}=\frac{1}{Z} \exp(-\beta \hat{H}), \quad Z=\mathrm{Tr} \exp(-\beta \hat{H}), \quad \beta=\frac{1}{k_{\text{B}} T}.$$

Likes Konte
vanhees71 said:
The latter formula is correct. The statistical operator must be of trace ##1##. Thus the statistical operator of the canonical ensemble is
$$\hat{\rho}=\frac{1}{Z} exp(−\beta H),\,\,Z=Tr \,\, exp(−\beta \hat{H}),\,\,\beta=\frac{1}{k_BT}$$​

Thank you for your answer.
How to demonstrate this expression of ##\hat{\rho}##?
Because, after searching, I always have another alternative form ##\hat{\rho}= \sum_i p_i | \psi_i \rangle \langle \psi_i|##

Thanks.

Konte

This expression you get from the maximum entropy principle. If you look for all statistical operators that lead to a given expectation value ##U=\mathrm{Tr} (\hat \rho \hat{H})## of the energy and minimize the entropy,
$$S=-k_{\text{B}} \mathrm{Tr} \hat{\rho} \ln \hat{\rho},$$
you get to the canonical statistical operator (of course you need the normalization ##\mathrm{Tr} \hat{\rho}=1## as another constraint).

The "alternative form" is just the expansion of the statistical operator in terms of its eigenvectors. Note that there can be also generalized eigenvectors if the operator has a continuous spectrum.

Likes Konte
@vanhees71
Ok, thank you for this interesting answer. Could you indicate me some lectures that can help to understand and make it clearer for a novice as me, please?
I suppose, all of those concepts are valid and applicable for the case of a single system (like single atom or single molecule) ?

Thanks.
Konte

Well, these are very general concepts. My favorite book, using the information-theoretical approach, is

A. Katz, Principles of Statistical Mechanics, W. H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco and London, 1967.

Very good is also Landau&Lifshitz, vol. 5 or Reif.

Likes Konte
vanhees71 said:
Well, these are very general concepts. My favorite book, using the information-theoretical approach, is

A. Katz, Principles of Statistical Mechanics, W. H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco and London, 1967.

Very good is also Landau&Lifshitz, vol. 5 or Reif.

Thanks a lot.

Konte

Hello,

I'm back, just because a little doubt persist on my understanding:
Is the operator ##\hat{\rho} = \frac{e^{-\beta \hat{H}}}{Z}## still meaningful even for describing a pure state?
Thanks

Konte

Of course not. An equilibrium state is only a pure state for ##T \rightarrow 0##. Note that using the equilibrium (canonical) distribution means that you look at a single particle within a heat bath at temperature ##T##!

Likes Konte
vanhees71 said:
Note that using the equilibrium (canonical) distribution means that you look at a single particle within a heat bath at temperature ##T##!

Thank you,

So even for a single particle within a heat bath at ##T##°, the concept of mixed states is meaningful?

In other words, single particle is describable as a canonical ensemble once it is "surrounded" by a heat bath at fixed ##T##° (equilibrium)?

Konte.

Related to Quantum thermodynamics of single particle

1. What is quantum thermodynamics of single particle?

Quantum thermodynamics of single particle is a branch of physics that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and thermodynamics to study the behavior of a single particle at the microscopic level. It aims to understand how energy, heat, and work are exchanged between a single particle and its surroundings.

2. How is quantum thermodynamics different from classical thermodynamics?

Quantum thermodynamics considers the probabilistic nature of particles at the quantum level, whereas classical thermodynamics assumes that particles behave deterministically. Additionally, quantum thermodynamics takes into account the effects of quantum entanglement and uncertainty on energy exchanges, which are not considered in classical thermodynamics.

3. What are the key principles of quantum thermodynamics?

The key principles of quantum thermodynamics include the principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and uncertainty, as well as the laws of thermodynamics, such as conservation of energy and entropy. It also incorporates concepts such as work, heat, and energy exchange at the quantum level.

4. What are the applications of quantum thermodynamics of single particle?

Quantum thermodynamics of single particle has applications in fields such as quantum computing, information theory, and nanotechnology. It also helps in understanding the behavior of small systems, such as single atoms or molecules, and can aid in the development of more efficient energy conversion and storage technologies.

5. What are some current research topics in quantum thermodynamics of single particle?

Current research in this field includes studying the thermodynamics of quantum machines, such as quantum engines and refrigerators, and investigating the role of quantum coherence and correlations in energy transfer processes. There is also ongoing research on the thermodynamics of quantum measurements and the connection between quantum information theory and thermodynamics.