Quantum Theory from First Principles

In summary, the book "Quantum Theory from First Principles" by D'Ariano et al, recommended by @LittleSchwinger, is a concise and rigorous examination of the Hilbert space formalism of quantum theory and its relationship with information theory. It also provides a derivation of quantum theory from six information theoretic principles. The book does not focus on specific physical systems, but rather on the abstract formalism of quantum theory. The exercises are well-crafted and serve as a guided development of ideas from the text.
Frabjous
Gold Member
@LittleSchwinger recently recommended this book

LittleSchwinger said:
If you enjoy it D'Ariano et al's "Quantum Theory from First Principles" uses a similar diagramatic approach but is more concise and rigorous.

What are peoples thoughts on it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I fully agree with my own recommendations :wink:

Basically the book is divided into three parts:
  1. An examination of the Hilbert space formalism of quantum theory and how it generalises information theory.
  2. A discussion of information theoretic principles and how aspects of quantum theory are simply consequences of them
  3. A derivation of quantum theory from six information theoretic principles
Note: I say "quantum theory" to refer to the abstract formalism of Hilbert Spaces and operators on them. The book does not examine any physics as such, i.e. explicit systems like hydrogen atoms, harmonic oscillators, gases etc. It's an investigation of the abstract formalism.

The exercises are very well crafted and often take the form of a guided development of ideas from the text.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, Demystifier, Greg Bernhardt and 2 others