Quantum Mechanics: Transformation Matrix

In summary: Well, if you want to keep the x direction linear, then you would get the vector ##\mathbf{x} = \left(\begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 0\\ 0 & 1\end{array}\right).## But if you want the x direction to be circularly polarized, then you would get the vector ##\mathbf{x} = \left(\begin{array}{cccc} 1 & -i\\ 0 & 1\end{array}\right).## So the final column vector would be ##\mathbf{x} = \left(\begin{array}{cccc} 1 & -\frac{1}{2}i\\ 0 & 1\end{
Robben

Homework Statement

Determine a ##2\times 2## matrix ##\mathbb{S}## that can be used to transform a column vector representing a photon polarization state using the linear polarization vectors ##|x\rangle## and ##|y\rangle## as a basis to one using the circular polarization vectors ##|R\rangle## and ##|L\rangle## as a basis.

Homework Equations

##|R\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|x\rangle+i|y\rangle\right)##

##|L\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|x\rangle-i|y\rangle\right)##

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure exactly what the question is asking.

Is it asking to use ##|x\rangle## and ##|y\rangle## as a basis to find the transformation matrix that transforms ##|x\rangle## and ##|y\rangle## to ##|R\rangle## and ##|L\rangle##?

If that is what it's asking, then would this be correct:

##\mathbb{S}=\left[{\begin{array}{cc} \langle R|x\rangle & \langle L|y\rangle \\ \langle R|x\rangle & \langle L|y\rangle \\\end{array}}\right]?##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

I think you have the right idea but your matrix for ##\mathbb{S}## is not correct (It has two identical columns).

An arbitrary polarization state, ##|\psi \rangle = a|x \rangle + b|y \rangle##, can be written as a column matrix $$\binom{a}{b}_{\!xy}$$ where the subsrcipt tells us which basis we're using.

The same state of polarization could be expressed in terms of the ##|R \rangle## and ##|L \rangle## basis states:
##|\psi \rangle = c|R \rangle + d|L \rangle##. Or, as $$\binom{c}{d}_{\!RL}$$ I believe the question is asking you to find a matrix ##\mathbb{S}## that will transform any ##\binom{a}{b}_{\!xy}## into the corresponding ##\binom{c}{d}_{\!RL}##.

If, for example, the polarization state is ##|\psi \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}|x \rangle + \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}e^{i\pi/4}|y \rangle##, then if you apply the matrix ##\mathbb{S}## to
\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \\\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}e^{i\pi/4}
\end{pmatrix} you will get the corresponding column matrix that expresses the same state in the ##|R \rangle## and ##|L \rangle## basis.

TSny said:
Hello and welcome to PF!

Thank you!

I think you have the right idea but your matrix for ##\mathbb{S}## is not correct (It has two identical columns).

I made a mistake. It should be ##\mathbb{S}^{\dagger}## instead of ##\mathbb{S}##.

An arbitrary polarization state, ##|\psi \rangle = a|x \rangle + b|y \rangle##, can be written as a column matrix $$\binom{a}{b}_{\!xy}$$ where the subsrcipt tells us which basis we're using.

The same state of polarization could be expressed in terms of the ##|R \rangle## and ##|L \rangle## basis states:
##|\psi \rangle = c|R \rangle + d|L \rangle##. Or, as $$\binom{c}{d}_{\!RL}$$ I believe the question is asking you to find a matrix ##\mathbb{S}## that will transform any ##\binom{a}{b}_{\!xy}## into the corresponding ##\binom{c}{d}_{\!RL}##.

If, for example, the polarization state is ##|\psi \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}|x \rangle + \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}e^{i\pi/4}|y \rangle##, then if you apply the matrix ##\mathbb{S}## to
\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \\\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}e^{i\pi/4}
\end{pmatrix} you will get the corresponding column matrix that expresses the same state in the ##|R \rangle## and ##|L \rangle## basis.

Can you elaborate please?

So we need to find a matrix ##\mathbb{S}## such that ##\mathbb{S} \binom{a}{b}_{\!xy} = \binom{c}{d}_{\!RL}## is true?

Robben said:
So we need to find a matrix ##\mathbb{S}## such that ##\mathbb{S} \binom{a}{b}_{\!xy} = \binom{c}{d}_{\!RL}## is true?

Yes, I believe that's what you are asked to do. For example, suppose you take a state that is linearly polarized in the x direction: ##\binom{1}{0}_{\!xy}##. After multiplying by ##\mathbb{S}##, what column vector should you get?

Likes Robben

Related to Quantum Mechanics: Transformation Matrix

1. What is a transformation matrix in quantum mechanics?

A transformation matrix in quantum mechanics is a mathematical tool that describes the relationship between two different sets of quantum states. It is used to transform a set of quantum states from one basis to another, allowing us to understand the system in different ways.

2. How does a transformation matrix relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a quantum particle at the same time. A transformation matrix helps us understand this by showing how a particle's position and momentum states are related and how they can be transformed into one another.

3. Can a transformation matrix be used for multiple quantum particles?

Yes, a transformation matrix can be used for multiple quantum particles. In this case, the transformation matrix becomes a larger matrix with more entries, representing the relationship between all the different possible states of the particles.

4. How does the time evolution of a quantum system affect the transformation matrix?

As a quantum system evolves over time, the transformation matrix also changes. This is because the system's states are constantly changing, and the transformation matrix describes the relationship between those states. However, the transformation matrix will still accurately transform between the different sets of states, even as they change over time.

5. Are there any limitations to using a transformation matrix in quantum mechanics?

One limitation of using a transformation matrix in quantum mechanics is that it only applies to linear systems. This means that it does not accurately describe non-linear systems, such as those with strong interactions or large energy differences. Additionally, the transformation matrix can become increasingly complex and difficult to calculate for systems with a large number of particles.