Qualitative advice on two phase flow problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses a tank with two openings, one at a constant pressure of 33 bar and the other at atmospheric pressure. The tank contains a two-phase flow of N2 gas and H2O2 liquid, and is made of aluminum. The question is how fast the pressure would decrease if the valve at opening A is closed. The answer is difficult to determine without simulation, but the flow velocity would likely be sonic due to the large pressure drop. One participant notes that the setup sounds more like a nozzle or pipe rather than a tank.
SteveNgabo
Hi guys I have a rather qualitative question. let's imagine a tank with two openings. pressure is measured at one opening (A) to be at a constant 33 bar at time t=0s. the other opening(B) is at atmospheric pressure.
Inside the tank we have a two phase flow half is N2 gas and the other half is H2O2(hydrogen peroxide in liquid form) the tank itself is made out of aluminium for weight saving purposes and it's not very big about the size of a paintball tank.
The question here is if we closed opening A with a valve (solenoid) so that pressure at A becomes 0, how fast would the pressure decrease. I know this is not an easy question because it is time dependent. I had to try and simulate this on solidworks but two-phase flow is not available. So before trying it with Comsol I would like to know maybe from someone's experience if it will be fast pressure drop(<5sec) or a slow one(>10sec)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fast I think.

With a pressure drop as big as that, the flow velocity would be sonic (i.e. choked flow) I assume?

Your description sounds less tank and more a nozzle or a pipe.

the B opening leads to a nozzle indeed. Thanks for your insight

Related to Qualitative advice on two phase flow problem.

1. What is two phase flow and why is it important in research?

Two phase flow refers to the simultaneous flow of two different fluid phases, such as gas and liquid, in a system or process. It is important in research because many natural and industrial processes involve two phase flow, and understanding its behavior is crucial for optimizing these processes and predicting potential issues.

2. What are some common challenges in studying two phase flow?

Some common challenges in studying two phase flow include accurately measuring the properties and behavior of each phase, predicting phase interactions and transitions, and developing mathematical models that can accurately represent the complex behavior of two phase flow systems.

3. How can qualitative advice be helpful in studying two phase flow?

Qualitative advice can provide valuable insights and recommendations for studying two phase flow, especially in terms of experimental design, data analysis, and interpretation of results. It can also help identify potential limitations or areas for improvement in the research approach.

4. What are some common techniques used in studying two phase flow?

Some common techniques used in studying two phase flow include high-speed imaging, laser-based measurement techniques, pressure and temperature sensors, and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations. Each technique has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of technique depends on the specific research objectives and system being studied.

5. How can two phase flow research contribute to real-world applications?

Two phase flow research has many practical applications, such as improving the efficiency and safety of industrial processes, designing more efficient heat exchangers and power systems, and developing better techniques for oil and gas production. By gaining a better understanding of two phase flow behavior, researchers can make meaningful contributions to these and other real-world applications.