Quadratic Inequality: Solve for 4/m-2/n Without a Calculator

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve for the values of m and n in a quadratic equation without using a calculator. It also explores how to calculate 1/m and 1/n in a more efficient way, but ultimately, solving a quadratic equation is necessary for finding the values of m and n.
LiHJ

Homework Statement

Dear Mentors and PF helpers,

Here's the question:

The roots of a quadratic equation $$3x^2-\sqrt{24}x-2=0$$ are m and n where m > n . Without using a calculator,

a) show that $$1/m+1/n=-\sqrt{6}$$
b) find the value of 4/m - 2/n in the form $$\sqrt{a}-\sqrt{b}$$

Homework Equations

Sum of roots: m+ n= $$\sqrt{24}/3=2\sqrt{6}/3$$
Product of roots = -2/3

The Attempt at a Solution

For a):
I was able to show it:
$$1/m+1/n= (n +m)/mn$$

For b):
My method seem to be quite long, I did simultaneous equations to solve for m and n. Using the quadratic formula. There are 2 answers for both m and n. So I choose the set of m and n that fits the criteria.
$$m=(\sqrt{6}+\sqrt{12})/3$$
$$n=(\sqrt{6}-\sqrt{12})/3$$

Therefore 4/m -2/n = $$3\sqrt{12}-\sqrt{6}$$

My answers are correct but I wonder is there a shorter way to do part (b)

Thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) and (b) together allow to calculate 1/m and 1/n in an easy way. No matter which approach you use, it is at most one step away from finding m and n.
You could find solutions of 1/x, that might save one or two steps, but I don't see a solution that avoids solving a quadratic equation.

Related to Quadratic Inequality: Solve for 4/m-2/n Without a Calculator

What is a quadratic inequality?

A quadratic inequality is an inequality in which the highest power of the variable is 2. It can be written in the form ax^2 + bx + c < 0 (less than), ax^2 + bx + c > 0 (greater than), ax^2 + bx + c <= 0 (less than or equal to), or ax^2 + bx + c >= 0 (greater than or equal to).

How do you solve a quadratic inequality?

To solve a quadratic inequality, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign and factor the other side. Then, you can use a graph, a table, or algebraic methods to determine the values of the variable that make the inequality true.

What is the general rule for solving a quadratic inequality?

The general rule for solving a quadratic inequality is to first move all the terms to one side of the inequality sign, so that the other side is equal to 0. Then, factor the quadratic expression and set each factor equal to 0. Use a graph, table, or algebraic methods to determine the values of the variable that make the inequality true.

Can a quadratic inequality have more than one solution?

Yes, a quadratic inequality can have more than one solution. This is because a quadratic expression can have two roots, which are the values of the variable that make the expression equal to 0. These roots can be used to determine the intervals where the inequality is true.

Why is it important to solve a quadratic inequality without a calculator?

Solving a quadratic inequality without a calculator is important because it helps develop problem-solving skills and a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts. It also allows for a more precise and accurate solution, as calculator rounding errors can sometimes occur.