Quadratic inequality involving Modulus Function

In summary: So the product is positive.I know that if we multiply or divide negatives, the sign of inequality would change.The numerator is always positive. So we need to drop the equality.The numerator is always positive. So we need to drop the equality.
LiHJ

Homework Statement

Dear Mentors and PF helpers,

I saw this question on a book but couldn't understand one part of it.

Here the question:
Solve the following inequality
I copied the solution as below

Homework Equations

image.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why the numerator in step (1) can become 1 in step (2).
Can someone explain the concept behind.
Thank you for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
LiHJ said:

Homework Statement

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I don't understand why the numerator in step (1) can become 1 in step (2).
Can someone explain the concept behind.
Thank you for your time
The numerator at 1) is (x-1)2, EdiT: (x-1)2 + 1, it can not be negative. You can divide by it, and the inequality holds.

Last edited:
ehild said:
The numerator at 1) is (x-1)2, it can not be negative. You can divide by it, and the inequality holds.
I don't think ##x^2 -2x +2## factorizes to ##(x-1)^2## , and since the discriminant of the numerator in step 1 is negative, there will be no real solution to it. Hence, the numerator can be taken out of the equation by cross multiplication, and this leads to step 2. (I think so)

PWiz said:
I don't think ##x^2 -2x +2## factorizes to ##(x-1)^2## , and since the discriminant of the numerator in step 1 is negative, there will be no real solution to it. Hence, the numerator can be taken out of the equation by cross multiplication, and this leads to step 2. (I think so)
You are right, I made a mistake when typing in. The numerator is (x-1)2+1, can not be negative.
If the numerator could not be zero, (had no roots) it could be entire negative. Dividing by it would change the inequality then . 2) follows from 1) only when the numerator is always positive.

Just curious - is step 4) unnecessary? Can step 3 not be simplified to ##x^2-2 |x|## < 0 (Since 1/a can never be equal to 0)?

PWiz said:
Just curious - is step 4) unnecessary? Can step 3 not be simplified to ##x^2-2 |x|## < 0 (Since 1/a can never be equal to 0)?[/QUOTE ]

You are right . From ##\frac {1}{x^2-|x|}<0## (equality is not allowed) x^2-|x|<0 follows. Step 4) is not needed. So |x|(|x|-2)<0 --> |x|<2.

Dear ehild and PWiz,

I have corrected it.

image.jpg

Please help me to do corrections if there's error.
There's one more thing that I need clarification is that on ehild 2nd post, states that if the numerator could not be zero, it coluld be entire negative.

What this means.
I know that if we multiply or divide negatives, the sign of inequality would change.

The numerator is always positive. So we need to drop the equality.

You can not divide a non-zero number by zero, so the denominator can not be zero, either.

You can divide the inequality by the positive numerator, so the inequality simplifies to the form 1/A<0. Step 4) is not necessary. You know that 1/A is negative only when A is negative. But you may do 4), it is correct. And the whole solution is correct, but |x|<0 is impossible,so exlude x=0 from he solution.

When I said that if the numerator can not be zero, it can be either entirely positive or entirely negative, it was answer to PWiz.

Last edited:
As ehild has correctly pointed out, if the left side of the equation cannot equal 0, then the inequality can be simplified to being less than 0 as you've done is step 3(the expression on the LHS is -ve). For step 5, you can avoid the inequality |x|<0 by dividing both sides by |x| right at the beginning of step 5, and the inequality will be preserved (since |x| is always positive). So you get |x|-2 <0 (only), and then you can get the proper solution, just as how you've done in the last step.

Last edited:
X=0 has to be excluded from the solution.

Thank you ehild and PWiz,

Now I changed the question the other way round, it has to be less than or equal to zero.

image.jpg

A product of two factors can be positive only when either both factors are positive or both of them are negative. One of the factors is |x|. It is never negative, so the other factor |x|-2 is also positive.

Related to Quadratic inequality involving Modulus Function

1. What is a quadratic inequality involving modulus function?

A quadratic inequality involving modulus function is an inequality that contains a quadratic expression and a modulus function. It can be written in the form of |ax^2 + bx + c| < d, |ax^2 + bx + c| > d, or |ax^2 + bx + c| = d, where a, b, c, and d are real numbers.

2. How do you solve a quadratic inequality involving modulus function?

To solve a quadratic inequality involving modulus function, you need to first isolate the modulus expression on one side of the inequality sign. Then, you can split the inequality into two separate inequalities, one with a positive modulus and one with a negative modulus. Finally, you can solve each inequality separately and combine the solutions to get the final solution.

3. What is the difference between a quadratic inequality and a linear inequality?

A quadratic inequality involves a quadratic expression, while a linear inequality involves a linear expression. This means that the highest power of the variable in a quadratic inequality is 2, while in a linear inequality it is 1. Additionally, a quadratic inequality may have multiple solutions, while a linear inequality only has one.

4. How do you graph a quadratic inequality involving modulus function?

To graph a quadratic inequality involving modulus function, you first need to graph the corresponding quadratic equation. Then, you need to plot the points where the modulus expression is equal to the specified value (e.g. |ax^2 + bx + c| = d). Finally, you need to shade the region between the two graphs to represent the solutions to the inequality.

5. Can a quadratic inequality involving modulus function have no solutions?

Yes, a quadratic inequality involving modulus function can have no solutions. This can happen if the two separate inequalities formed after splitting the modulus expression have no overlapping solutions. In other words, the solutions to one inequality do not satisfy the other inequality.