Quadratic equation solving with constraint.

In summary, the conversation is about a math problem involving optimization, Lagrangians, Cramer's rule, and a quadratic equation with a constraint. The person has been working on it for a while and has found the answers for x and y, but is struggling with the last step. Another person suggests plugging in the constraint into the quadratic equation, which will result in either no solution, one solution, or two solutions due to the geometric representation of an ellipse and a straight line. The person is grateful for the help and the issue is resolved.
qwerty11

Homework Statement

So I've worked this problem for awhile. Its a several page of math problem with optimization, legrangians, cramers rule, etc to get to this point. All I need to do now is by hand solve this equation for x and y with the constraint.

Homework Equations

-0.03x^2 + 40x - 0.02y^2 + 5y+ 55000 = 0
Subject to the constraint: x+y=3000

The Attempt at a Solution

I could put up the pages of work I've done to get to this point, but it really doesn't have any relevant info to help get to this point. I have the answers which is x=1100 & y=1900. Just don't know how to do this last step I've got to.

Thanks so much for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
qwerty11 said:
-0.03x^2 + 40x - 0.02y^2 + 5y+ 55000 = 0
Subject to the constraint: x+y=3000

If your constraint is x+y=3000 then you just need to plug y = 3000-x into the quadratic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geometrically, the quadratic equation in x and y represents an ellipse, and the constraint represents a straight line, so you will either get no solutions, one solution, or two solutions.

Mentallic said:
If your constraint is x+y=3000 then you just need to plug y = 3000-x into the quadratic.

Thanks so much! This is exactly what was messing me up. Dono why I didn't think of that.

Thanks again!

qwerty11 said:
Thanks so much! This is exactly what was messing me up. Dono why I didn't think of that.

Thanks again!

You're welcome :smile:

Related to Quadratic equation solving with constraint.

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is called a quadratic equation because the highest degree of the variable is 2.

What does it mean to solve a quadratic equation?

Solving a quadratic equation means finding the values of the variable that make the equation true. These values are called the roots or solutions of the equation.

What is a constraint in quadratic equation solving?

A constraint in quadratic equation solving is a condition or limitation that must be satisfied when solving the equation. This could be a restriction on the values that the variable can take or a specific relationship between the variables.

How do you solve a quadratic equation with a constraint?

To solve a quadratic equation with a constraint, you can use a variety of methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. The key is to incorporate the constraint into the solution process and ensure that the final solution satisfies the constraint.

What are some real-life applications of quadratic equations with constraints?

Quadratic equations with constraints are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and solve problems involving optimization, motion, and budget constraints, among others.