QM Tensor Product: Finding Eigenstates of H0

Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it.In summary, the article discusses the Hamiltonian H_{0} and its application on a state in a magnetic field. It explains how the last Hamiltonian, H^{up}_{0}, is obtained and its significance in understanding the energy of the system. The Hamiltonian is a powerful tool in studying physical systems and its eigenstates and eigenvalues provide important information about the system.
johnsmi
Hi, I am reading this article for homework about a ring in a megnetic field. It starts off by giving a hamiltonian (an adiabatic part -never mind)
[tex]
H_{0}= \frac{1}{2M} [ \Pi -A]^{2} -\mu B( \phi) \cdot \sigma
[/tex]

A- is a known operator

where [tex] \Pi=\frac{1}{2a} \frac{d}{d \phi} -\frac{eB_{z} \pi a}{2c}[/tex] is the generalized momentum operator

I know that the eigen states of [tex]\mu B( \phi) \cdot \sigma [/tex] (Spinors) are:
[tex]
| \uparrow ( \phi) > =(i \alpha e^{-i \phi}[/tex] , [tex] -\beta)^{T}
[/tex]

[tex]
| \downarrow ( \phi) > =(i\beta e^{-i \phi}[/tex] , [tex] \alpha)^{T}
[/tex]

Now, in this article I have he sais that the eigen states of H0 can be written as
[tex]
| \uparrow ( \phi) > \otimes \psi ^{ \uparrow}_{n}[/tex] and

[tex]
| \downarrow ( \phi) > \otimes \psi ^{ \downarrow}_{n}
[/tex]

When, [tex] \psi \^{ \uparrow}_{n}[/tex] for example is the eigenstate of a Hamiltonian:
[tex]
H^{up}_{0}= \frac{1}{2M} [ \Pi -const]^{2} -\mu B
[/tex]

How did he get it (the last Hamiltonian)?
Someone told me to try and apply H0 on
[tex]
| \uparrow ( \phi) > \otimes \psi ^{ \uparrow}_{n} [/tex]
but I got something pretty awful
Can somone help me please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I would first like to commend you for taking the initiative to read and understand this article for homework. It shows that you are dedicated to your studies and have a strong interest in science. I understand that the concepts can be challenging, but with some guidance and practice, you will be able to grasp them.

To answer your question, the last Hamiltonian, H^{up}_{0}, is obtained by applying the Hamiltonian, H_{0}, on the state | \uparrow ( \phi) > \otimes \psi ^{ \uparrow}_{n}. This is known as the eigenvalue equation, where the Hamiltonian acts on the state and gives back the same state multiplied by a constant, known as the eigenvalue. In this case, the constant is the energy of the state, which is given by H^{up}_{0}.

To apply H_{0} on | \uparrow ( \phi) > \otimes \psi ^{ \uparrow}_{n}, we first need to understand what each term in H_{0} represents. The first term, \frac{1}{2M} [ \Pi -A]^{2}, is the kinetic energy of the particle. The second term, -\mu B( \phi) \cdot \sigma, represents the interaction of the particle's magnetic moment with the external magnetic field.

When we apply H_{0} on | \uparrow ( \phi) > \otimes \psi ^{ \uparrow}_{n}, we are essentially calculating the total energy of the system. This can be done by breaking down the state into its individual components and then applying the Hamiltonian on each component separately.

In this case, we can break down | \uparrow ( \phi) > \otimes \psi ^{ \uparrow}_{n} into two parts: | \uparrow ( \phi) > and \psi ^{ \uparrow}_{n}. Then, we can apply the Hamiltonian on each part separately. This will give us two terms: one for the kinetic energy of the particle and one for the interaction energy with the external magnetic field. By combining these two terms, we get the Hamiltonian H^{up}_{0}.

I hope this explanation helps you understand how the last Hamiltonian is obtained. It is important to keep in mind that the Hamiltonian is a mathematical representation of the physical system, and its eigenstates and eigen

Related to QM Tensor Product: Finding Eigenstates of H0

1. What is a QM Tensor Product?

A QM tensor product is a mathematical operation that combines two quantum mechanical systems to create a larger, composite system. It is denoted by the symbol ⊗ (tensor product symbol) and is used to describe the state of a system with multiple particles.

2. How do you find eigenstates of H0 using QM Tensor Product?

To find eigenstates of H0 using QM Tensor Product, you first need to determine the individual eigenstates of each system. Then, use the tensor product operation to combine them and create a composite eigenstate. Finally, use the properties of tensor products to simplify the resulting expression and obtain the final eigenstate of H0.

3. Why is QM Tensor Product useful in quantum mechanics?

QM Tensor Product is useful in quantum mechanics because it allows us to describe complex quantum systems with multiple particles. It also helps us to understand the behavior of entangled states and perform calculations involving composite systems.

4. Can QM Tensor Product be applied to non-commuting operators?

No, QM Tensor Product can only be applied to commuting operators. Commuting operators are those that can be multiplied in any order and give the same result. Non-commuting operators, on the other hand, do not follow this property and therefore cannot be used in tensor product operations.

5. Are there any limitations to using QM Tensor Product?

One limitation of QM Tensor Product is that it can only be applied to systems with a finite number of particles. Additionally, it can become very complex and difficult to calculate for large systems with many particles. Furthermore, in certain cases, it may not accurately describe the behavior of the system due to the limitations of quantum mechanics itself.