QFT, Noether and Invariance, Complex fields, Equal mass

In summary, the student attempted to solve the homework equation but was stumped. They found a solution using a cosine or cosine exponential depending on the symmetries of the fields.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Question attached:

mm11=m2.png

Hi
I am pretty stuck on part d.

I've broken the fields into real and imaginary parts as asked to and tried to compare where they previously canceled to the situation now- see below.

However I can't really see this giving me a hint of any sort unless the transformation of a field can be a function of both fields- but I don't believe this is allowed? Please correct me if I am wrong- please see below.

Homework Equations

please see below

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

I've broken the fields into real and imaginary parts as asked to and tried to compare where they previously canceled to the sitatuation now. I've wrote ##Im (\phi*)= -Im (\phi) ## to save introducing ##(/phi*) ## ofc. I see that the extra symmetries due to ##m_1=m_2## must be s.t the symmetries of ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2## can now cancel via summation in the ##m^2## term rather than having to have the invariance hold sepereately, whilst at the same time preserving the symmetry of the derivaitve terms. I therefore suspect the solution may be ##sin ## or ##cos## now sufficing alone without the exponential, separately being able to have the imaginary and real parts cancelling.
Looking at the ##m_1^2## for ##\phi_1## term previously I had (the first bracket corresponding to ##phi_1## transformation and the second ##phi*_1## and so the transformation is negative exponential in the second bracket) :
##m_1^2 (cos \alpha Re(\phi) - sin \alpha Im(\phi) + i sin \alpha Re(\phi) + i cos \alpha Im(\phi)) . (cos \alpha Re(\phi) - sin \alpha Im(\phi) + i cos \alpha Im(\phi)) + i sin \alpha Re(\phi) ##

and the result of expanding this out and looking at the real parts is that the cos^2 sin^2 identity is used to get ##Im(\phi)^2+Re(\phi)^2## hence invariant and the cross-terms vanish (and I suspect the same is true for the imaginary parts).

I can't really think how to use this as a hint though, unless you are a allowed a ##phi_1## transformation that is a function of both ##phi_1## and ##phi_2##, but I don't think this is allowed?

a thousand thanks to you my friend.

Attachments

• mm11=m2.png
    mm11=m2.png
    23 KB · Views: 863
Physics news on Phys.org
You can find this exercise and its solution in several references in the web, I believe it appears in P&S, Srednicki in other words with a good search through google, you can find a solution to this exercise.
In fact this exercise appears in Radovanovic's problem book, problem 5.11.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
You can find this exercise and its solution in several references in the web, I believe it appears in P&S, Srednicki in other words with a good search through google, you can find a solution to this exercise.
In fact this exercise appears in Radovanovic's problem book, problem 5.11.

many thanks for your reply, I had no idea about this book !

however, not to sure why no one replied to my question can the transformation be a function of both fields, quick question, yes or no answer, would have helped alot, but hey..

binbagsss said:
however, not to sure why no one replied to my question can the transformation be a function of both fields, quick question, yes or no answer, would have helped alot, but hey..
With these type of QFT questions it's sort of impossible to solve without a reference at hand... :-D

binbagsss said:
Yes, in general it is possible to do a transfer that contains all the fields.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
With these type of QFT questions it's sort of impossible to solve without a reference at hand... :-D[/QUOTE
I don't suppose you know whether a similar sort of solution book may exist for string theory ?

Thanks ( in particular t-duality, massless states ) ?

You might be interested in the solutions to Zwiebach's book on string theory.

Likes binbagsss
There's also a partial solution manual to Polchinski's 2-set volume, just type you know what into google.

Likes binbagsss

Related to QFT, Noether and Invariance, Complex fields, Equal mass

1. What is QFT?

QFT, or quantum field theory, is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles. It is currently the most successful theory we have for understanding the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe.

2. What is Noether's theorem and its role in QFT?

Noether's theorem states that for every differentiable symmetry of a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity. In QFT, this means that the invariance of physical laws under certain transformations (such as translations or rotations) leads to the conservation of certain quantities, such as energy or momentum.

3. How do complex fields relate to QFT?

In QFT, particles are described as excitations of fields. These fields can be complex, meaning they have both real and imaginary components. Complex fields are necessary for describing particles with spin, such as electrons, and are an essential part of the mathematical framework of QFT.

4. Why is it important for particles to have equal mass in QFT?

In QFT, particles are grouped into different types or "species" based on their mass. Having particles of equal mass allows for a simpler and more elegant description of the interactions between these particles. It also makes it easier to make predictions and calculations within the theory.

5. How does invariance play a role in QFT?

Invariance, or the idea that the laws of physics are the same regardless of certain transformations or changes, is a fundamental principle in QFT. It allows for the development of symmetries and conserved quantities, which help explain and predict the behavior of particles and their interactions.