QED explanation of entanglement

In summary: I am thinking with these statements on mind and this "new...basis" you speak of, does this mean that the state of the photons remains the same, regardless of the basis?The state of the photons remains the same, regardless of the basis.In summary, the QED explanation for entanglement requires the use of Fock states, and these are expressed using the creation and annihilation operators. This tells us (by construction of the theory) that everything is causal, and interactions are local, particularly also the detection of a photon in a photodetector is local.
zonde
Gold Member
vanhees71 said:
It [entanglement] should be "explained" using QED, and this tells us (by construction of the theory) that everything is causal, and interactions are local, particularly also the detection of a photon in a photodetector is local.
I would like to understand basic construction of entanglement "explanation" in QED.
As I understand because we talk about coincidences QED explanation necessarily involves Fock states. And Fock states are expressed using annihilation and creation operators, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Right. You just use appropriate creation operators to the vacuum to construct the polarization entangled state of two photons. The usual (covariant) commutation relations for the quantum fields (particularly the commutativity for operators representing local observables at spacelike separated arguments) ensure that there is no spooky action in the measurement/registration of photons is involved.

Likes bhobba
vanhees71 said:
Right. You just use appropriate creation operators to the vacuum to construct the polarization entangled state of two photons.
Is polarization entangled state expressed as superposition of two Fock states? Say Fock state of two H-polarized photons minus Fock state of two V-polarized photons (with appropriate coefficient).

exactly! On top the formalism also ensures the correct Bose properties of the photons. For a full description see the paper

C. K. Hong, L. Mandel, Theory of parametric frequency down conversion of light, Phys. Rev. A 31, 2409 (1985)
http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevA.31.2409

We have polarization entangled state expressed as superposition of two Fock states in certain basis but we perform measurement in different basis. So we transform this superposition from initial basis to measurement basis.
Now about this transformation, is it physical or is it just change of representation? I have impression that change of basis is viewed as not physical but then it changes physical outcome (rate of coincidences changes).

Of course, you can describe the vector representing a state in terms of components with respect to any basis which is most convenient for you. The change of the basis doesn't change the vector at all. It's like describing a point in space in usual geometry, once in terms of Cartesian or another time in spherical or cylinder coordinates. This is just a matter of convenience, but it doesn't change anything about the location of the object with help of either Cartesian or other coordinates.

vanhees71 said:
Of course, you can describe the vector representing a state in terms of components with respect to any basis which is most convenient for you.
I had impression that QED descriptions are expressed using spacetime. But Fock state has non-local description. If you say that superposition of two Fock states can be described by vector then I am at loss. In what space this vector "lives"? It's Hilbert space right? But then QED does not "live" in spacetime.

bhobba said:
Thanks

bhobba said:
Its resides in space time.
I see no justification for this statement. According to wikipedia Fock space is constructed from Hilbert spaces. If two individual particle states are distant in space then combination (symmetrized tensor product) of both Hilbert spaces will be non-local in respect to spacetime.

zonde said:
I see no justification for this statement. According to wikipedia Fock space is constructed from Hilbert spaces. If two individual particle states are distant in space then combination (symmetrized tensor product) of both Hilbert spaces will be non-local in respect to spacetime.

For justification you need to go into the detail:
http://portal.kph.uni-mainz.de/T//members/wittig/talks_lecture/ral.pdf

The field operators are expanded in a Fourier Series (see equation 2.28).

The resulting creation and annihilation operators create the particle states the superposition of which requires the Fock Space.

The field resides in space-time, the Fourier transform resides in momentum space.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Fock state is single particle states plus symmetrization requirement. So if we represent superposition of Fock states in different basis symmetrization requirement determines superposition of Fock states in new basis. So the symmetrization requirement produces non-local effect in QED.

zonde said:
Fock state is single particle states plus symmetrization requirement. So if we represent superposition of Fock states in different basis symmetrization requirement determines superposition of Fock states in new basis. So the symmetrization requirement produces non-local effect in QED.
I must confess that I'm not following this line of thinking at all? What do you mean by "superposition of Fock states in new basis"?

Nugatory said:
I must confess that I'm not following this line of thinking at all? What do you mean by "superposition of Fock states in new basis"?
Look at my posts #3 and #5
zonde said:
Is polarization entangled state expressed as superposition of two Fock states? Say Fock state of two H-polarized photons minus Fock state of two V-polarized photons (with appropriate coefficient).
zonde said:
We have polarization entangled state expressed as superposition of two Fock states in certain basis but we perform measurement in different basis. So we transform this superposition from initial basis to measurement basis.
Vanhees said these statements are correct.
So I am thinking with these statements on mind and this "new basis" is the one in which we perform measurement.

vanhees71 said:
The change of the basis doesn't change the vector at all.
I would like to point out one important thing about transformation like this.
There are two ways how we can perform transformation. We can rotate the vector or we can transform the space so that vector appears rotated. It is possible that the space have such a symmetry that the two cases are mathematically equivalent and there is no way how to make them distinct. But ... if dimensions of the space are "anchored" on some physical background the distinction will become apparent and one transformation will have to be considered physical and the other one just a change of representation.
So when we the vector is expressed in different basis it is legitimate to ask if this transformation is physical or not.

If you are saying that transformation is not physical can you provide reasons why it should be considered only the change of representation?
But as I see polarizers can be physically rotated (in respect to some physical background) and if we want to represent state vector in measurement basis of polarizer then this transformation to new basis should be considered physical as well.

Related to QED explanation of entanglement

1. What is QED explanation of entanglement?

The QED (Quantum Electrodynamics) explanation of entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected or "entangled" in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, no matter how far apart they are.

2. How does QED explain entanglement?

According to QED, entanglement occurs when two particles interact and become connected at a quantum level, forming a single quantum system. This means that any changes made to one particle will immediately affect the other, regardless of the distance between them.

3. What is the significance of QED explanation of entanglement?

The QED explanation of entanglement has significant implications for the way we understand and study quantum mechanics. It shows that particles can be connected in ways that are not explained by classical physics, and has potential applications in quantum computing and cryptography.

4. Can entanglement be used for communication?

No, entanglement cannot be used for communication. While changes made to one particle will affect the other, there is no way to control or predict these changes, making it impossible to use entanglement to send information.

5. How is QED explanation of entanglement different from classical physics?

Classical physics operates on the principle that particles exist independently of one another, and any changes made to one particle will not affect another unless they are in direct contact. However, QED explains entanglement as a phenomenon where particles can become connected and influence each other's states regardless of distance, challenging the classical understanding of particle interactions.