Pulse Width Modulation & Servo Motors Explained

In summary, Servo Motors use a 0-5V input with a period of 20ms to generate different pulse widths, which correspond to different torque rather than angular positions. The desired position/torque/speed is commanded by a voltage input or digital command received by the motor's controller. A feedback device is used to measure the actual position/torque/speed.
LabGuy330
Hi everyone,

I am really trying to get the concept of Servo Motors and am sort of stuck on something, particularly how the motor gets its Pulse Width Modulation.

I understand the 0 to 5V with a period of about 20ms and different pulse widths generate different angular positions. What I am unfamiliar with is how the motor's controller knows the desired position? Is it as simple as a certain voltage input into the controller generates a corresponding PWM for that voltage and thus varies linearly?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Different pulse widths (duty cycles), generate different torque (0-100%), not angular position. The desired position/torque/speed is commanded by something or someone, the actual position/torque/speed is measured with a feedback device: angular encoder/load cell/tach/etc.

Thanks for the reply!

I basically get that the duty cycles dictate the position/torque, what I am unfamiliar with is how I command the driver to do so. I can't just stand next to the motor and say "turn 90 degrees please." what electronically does the driver receive to generate the PWM?

It depends on the controller, some are a 0-5V analog input, others are digital command ("clockwise, 50%" ) e.g. over USB, ethernet, RS232 etc...

Related to Pulse Width Modulation & Servo Motors Explained

1. What is Pulse Width Modulation (PWM)?

Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) is a technique used to control the amount of power supplied to a device by rapidly switching the power on and off. It involves varying the width of the pulses of current to regulate the voltage and effectively control the speed or position of a motor.

2. How does PWM work?

PWM works by using a microcontroller or other circuitry to produce a square wave signal with a varying duty cycle. The duty cycle refers to the ratio of the pulse's "on" time to its total period. By adjusting the duty cycle, the average voltage supplied to a device can be changed, allowing for precise control of a motor's speed or position.

3. What are the benefits of using PWM?

Using PWM allows for efficient and precise control of motors, as it reduces the amount of power wasted as heat. It also enables smooth and precise movement, making it ideal for applications such as robotics and servo motors. Additionally, PWM can be used with a wide range of devices, making it a versatile and widely used technique.

4. What is a servo motor?

A servo motor is a special type of motor that uses feedback to accurately control its position. It consists of a small DC motor, a gearbox, and a control circuit. The motor's position is controlled by sending a PWM signal to the control circuit, which then adjusts the motor's speed and direction of rotation to reach the desired position.

5. How are PWM and servo motors used together?

PWM is often used to control servo motors as it provides precise and efficient control over their position. The PWM signal is sent to the servo motor's control circuit, which then adjusts the motor's speed and direction, allowing for precise movement and position control. This makes servo motors an essential component in many applications, such as robotics, RC vehicles, and industrial automation.