Publishing on Physics Review Letters

In summary, there are typically no publication charges for most journals as long as the manuscript is prepared in an acceptable format. However, Physical Review Letters is an exception and does impose a publication charge for all published letters. It is important to research and carefully consider the appropriate journal for your manuscript before submitting.
kakarot1905
Hi

I would like publish my paper on Physical Review Letters.

Publishing is free of cost on PRL as long as I don't want it open access & give them an electronic copy (such as pdfTex, Word), right?
Is this the same for most journals?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

kakarot1905 said:
Hi

I would like publish my paper on Physical Review Letters.

Publishing is free of cost on PRL as long as I don't want it open access & give them an electronic copy (such as pdfTex, Word), right?
Is this the same for most journals?

Thanks
As I said in your other thread, most journals do not impose a publication charge for appropriately prepared manuscripts, provided that they are prepared in an acceptable format. Certainly this is the case for the journals in my field. However, PRL is an exception in that they impose a publication charge for all published letters. By providing your manuscript in an appropriate format, you can reduce your charge, but not negate it.

You should be able to find this information on the journal's website. I would highly recommend doing some research before deciding to submit your manuscript. Your article is likely to be swiftly rejected from a journal unless it is of appropriate importance, interest and deals with a topic which falls under the purview of the journal.

I would also mention that all the Phys. Rev. journals are fairly prestigious and getting ones article published in Phys. Rev. isn't a trivial matter. I would suggest speaking to your tutors and/or supervisor (if you have one), asking them to read your manuscript and for their advice regarding an appropriate journal.

Related to Publishing on Physics Review Letters

1. What is Physics Review Letters (PRL) and why is it important?

Physics Review Letters is a prestigious scientific journal that publishes cutting-edge research in all areas of physics. It is considered one of the top physics journals in the world and is highly regarded by the scientific community. Publishing in PRL can greatly impact a scientist's career and increase the visibility and credibility of their research.

2. How do I submit my manuscript to PRL?

To submit your manuscript to PRL, you can go to their website and follow the instructions for authors. You will need to create an account, provide all necessary information and files, and pay the submission fee. Your manuscript will then go through a rigorous peer-review process before a decision is made on whether to accept or reject it for publication.

3. How long does it typically take for a paper to be published in PRL?

The time it takes for a paper to be published in PRL can vary, but on average it can take anywhere from 2-3 months. This timeline includes the submission and peer-review process, revisions, and final acceptance. However, it can also take longer depending on the complexity of the research and the number of revisions required.

4. What are the criteria for acceptance in PRL?

PRL has strict criteria for acceptance of papers, as they aim to publish only the most groundbreaking and significant research. The paper must present new and original findings that significantly advance the field of physics. It must also be well-written, with clear and concise explanations of the methods, results, and implications of the research.

5. Can I publish my research in PRL if it has already been published in another journal?

No, PRL does not accept manuscripts that have been previously published in another journal. They only consider original and unpublished research. However, if your research has been presented at a conference or published as a preprint, you can still submit it to PRL as long as it has not been peer-reviewed or formally published.